You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Using AutoEnhance when importing #1
John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
May 24, 2013 - 11:08am

I use a Panasonic GH3 and a mid-level RAW quality setting for most shoots. Because the imported RAW images look drab from the get-go (especially when compared to JPEGs) I've taken to using AutoEnhance in the Preset section before importing. This works well for the greater majority of images and cuts down on overall adjustment time. What do other Aperture users think of this strategy and what other presets do you use?

Flipkal's picture
by Flipkal
May 27, 2013 - 4:58am

If I were importing, say, greater than 100 images, I probably wouldn’t see the benefit of using your method. As you mention, AutoEnhance works well for many images, but not on all. And I think it might increase the import time substantially too. Instead, for large groups of images, after importing them, I prefer to cull my images by composition and clarity, tossing out the losers and duplicates. At this point, your method wins over, since once they are imported, it isn’t possible to AutoEnhance a group of images…you need to do them one by one. Lifting and stamping won’t work either, unless there are several images with similar composition and exposure. (I use Lift and Stamp on my time lapse sets and it works quite well). If I used your method, and found an image that I really liked, I would tend to Revert to Original and start from scratch, since I’m not a big fan of doing Auto-anything other than White Balance, which can’t be applied on Import. I’ll look at your method next time I import a large group of images and see if I like it.

Phil in Midland

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
May 28, 2013 - 8:23am

Philip–Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I take your point about the increased time my method takes, and it certainly adds to the frustration of waiting to get to work on images. But I rarely import over 100 images and in my short experience in digital photography so far, this way is generally saving me a significant amount of time.

Jason's picture
by Jason
May 28, 2013 - 9:33am

I sometimes use the AutoEnhance on import, especially if I’m importing a bunch of similar pictures like from a volleyball game or track meet. I don’t find that it adds much processing time since Aperture has to create all previews anyway. However, if I think I’m going to crop quite a few I’ll wait until I’m done with that before I auto-enhance. You get different results if applied to a cropped image instead of the full image.

Also note that you CAN apply Auto-Enhance to a group of files by using the Photos menu, then Add Effect>Quick Fixes>Auto Enhance

Flipkal's picture
by Flipkal
May 29, 2013 - 7:12am

I forgot about that Auto-Enhance in the Photos menu! Thanks! Your point about cropping first before auto-enhancing is a good one too. It does make a difference.

Phil in Midland

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
May 29, 2013 - 9:53am

Jason–This is good info. Thanks so much.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness