You are here

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Using Plugins #1
Andreas S's picture
by Andreas S
November 6, 2012 - 9:32pm

Hi! I think of buying some plugins like onone or niksoft for aperture. But there is one thing i am wondering about:
If i send a pic to an plugin, aperture makes a new original and this one is edited in the plugin (like in my post about photoshop) - thas clear. but what if i want to edit the pic again? are the settings i made in the plugin saved in aperture? which dataformat is used? raw? (i am starting from raw) … and the last question: what if i want to edit one pic with 2 plugins? are the settings saved so that i can return to each plugin to change the editing??

Thanks for help!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 19, 2012 - 1:05pm

Yes Andrea, photoshop with TIF files.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Andreas S's picture
by Andreas S
November 20, 2012 - 3:22am

Thanks for your help!!
Will watch for Topaz ;-)
right now i try out what onone can do for me…
Thanks!!
Andreas

Paul T's picture
by Paul T
November 11, 2012 - 8:32am

If I export from Aperture to anything I send it as a 16 bit TIF, including photoshop. NIK is EXCELLENT software, I haven’t used oNOne properly yet but I have a few FREE things from them which I found out about from Joseph here in AE (thanks)

I also think that Topaz Labs, Lens Effects is excellent as is Adjust 5 and DeNoise. A lot of people over look Topaz but they also have some excellent products.

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
November 6, 2012 - 11:43pm

When you edit an original/master image in Nik/OnOne (both I highly recommend) Aperture makes a TIFF copy of the master (I’d suggest changing the TIFF preferences in Aperture from 8bit to 16bit). You can edit the TIFF again as many times as you want. You’re editing a TIFF copy of the master, not the master itself.

Some plug-ins remember or save the settings you used last, some don’t. Both Nik and OnOne have good online training to help you out.

Andreas S's picture
by Andreas S
November 7, 2012 - 1:41am

Thanks for your reply!
I understand but i am a litte confused about the tiff-options you mentioned…
At the aperture options there is a tab where the export files are defined (as well es the external picture editer - in my case photoshop). there i can define the format what will be used - because using photoshop i use psd, 16 bit with 300 dpi…are these options used for the plugins too? is onone and nik then using the psd too? can I keep using psd with photoshop? or is there just one possibility of defining export settings…? Thanks!!

I plan to buy single plugins from onone, but at nicksoft the whole package is charming! which ones are you prefering - folks?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 7, 2012 - 3:33am

Andrea,

Yes those external editor settings are applied to the app you choose as well as the plugins. Many plugins will only work with TIF, so unless you have a need for PSD, leave it in TIF.

Personally I recommend both however I use Nik Silver Efex Pro all the time. It’s pretty awesome.

Regardless which you choose, be sure to use the discount code ApertureExpert, which gives you 15% off from both Nik and OnOne.

@PhotoJoseph

Andreas S's picture
by Andreas S
November 7, 2012 - 7:35am

Hi Joseph!
Thanks…I understand…but: “unless you have a need for PSD, leave it in TIF” … my englisch is not as well to understand thsi sentence without any more questions… ;-)
U mean - leave it in tif and switch it to psd when i rally need it??
do you use photoshop out of tiffs?

Thanks a lot!!
Greetings from Austria!!
Andreas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 7, 2012 - 8:22am

Andrea,

Yes, that’s correct. Leave it in TIF unless you specifically need a PSD file. TIF can even support layers (something I only learned recently!)

@PhotoJoseph

Andreas S's picture
by Andreas S
November 7, 2012 - 9:11pm

Hi,
do you use Photoshop with tifs?
Thanks!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness