You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Using a "referenced"library with more than one program? #1
Davidset's picture
by Davidset
April 16, 2015 - 9:04pm

Other than the current edits not being seen by different programs, is there any practical, or safety reason why I couldn’t leave my photos on an external HD, and access them from either Aperture, Photos, or Lightroom? Each program would create a link to the original, and keep any edits, labels, ratings etc. in its own library/catalog right? Would this work safely until more of the dust settles, and we see where all end up? 

(Not a pro/high volume pp)

thanks

david s

davidset

mikebhm's picture
by mikebhm
April 17, 2015 - 9:32am

I have been doing this for some time with Aperture and Lightroom, and have added Photos as well (but see below re Photos and referenced)

You have to be careful about managing the photos in the referenced photos folder, so that the Libraries don’t lose track. Two tools which are invaluable:

1. In Aperture searching with the Inspector HUD on “file status” to check all is in order…can see referenced, managed, missing, offline etc

2. In Lightroom “synchronise folder” finds where things are out and puts them right.

Photos doesn’t have these tools, and because the syncing across devices doesn’t apply with a referenced library, I am not persisting with my referenced Photos library. I am using Photos as my system photo library for 2015 onwards but not retrospectively.

If you add some photos manually to the referenced Photos folder, Aperture will not know they are there, but Lightroom’s synchronise folder will find and import them. There is no synchronise folder tool in Aperture so I tend to import to the Aperture Library first, then let Lightroom sweep up with the synchronise folder tool.

Above is how I have worked for past year, but just moving now to a situation where my two large legacy libraries up to end of 2014 (500Gb and 1Tb) are prime in Lightroom, and all photography from 2015 on is Photos. Trying to wean myself off Aperture.

Davidset's picture
by Davidset
April 17, 2015 - 4:52pm

Thanks for your info and experience.

So now your originals will live in Photos„,like an Aperture “managed” library?

Have a great day

david s

davidset

mikebhm's picture
by mikebhm
April 17, 2015 - 4:56pm

Yes that’s right, and shared across devices.

Macs are set to keep full-size originals on the Mac, and iPhones and iPads have optimised for device set.

I love that I can edit and cull on my iPhone 6+ wherever I am and edits all go everywhere.

I would put my legacy photos in a big Photos library but not paying for 1.5 Tb of storage from Apple!

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 18, 2015 - 6:11am

David,

If you want to use iCloud Photo Library with Photos, you cannot use a referenced library. It requires a managed library.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?