You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Using video from Aperture in FCP X #1
Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 5, 2012 - 2:16pm

This question is partially related to Aperture and partially FCP X but since Joseph also trains FCP X, I thought I could slip it in here.

FCP X has a media browser that can access the Aperture library from within FCP X. Initially I thought you couldn't import Aperture videos from this media browser. I was either wrong or they added the feature in one of the updates. Nevertheless, when you import an Aperture video from the media browser in FCP X, you get a “reference movie”.

A reference movie doesn't contain the actual video, it just has pointers to the original video (which is still in the Aperture library or wherever you keep your Aperture masters).
If you relocate your Aperture library, the reference movie in the FCP X Event no longer points to the original video.

If you copy the FCP X Event to another computer, all you get is the reference movie and not the video it points to. Just wondering if anyone has run into this and has any ideas on how to get around it. (other than the obvious don't use the FCP X media browser to access Aperture videos. I already thought of that one.)

I wonder if Aperture creates that reference movie or FCP X does.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 5, 2012 - 2:20pm

Thomas,

I don’t recall that working when I did the training, so you may be right that it’s been added in.

However I’m going to go with your “obvious don’t use the media browser” option if you think there’s any chance you’ll be moving things around. It just sounds too risky if you’re already seeing problems.

Of course, I just like to play it safe. Anyone got a better suggestion?

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?