You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vault - OK on referenced files disk? #1
ksignorini's picture
by ksignorini
June 13, 2011 - 7:14am

I've decided to use a referenced files library (primarily) that resides on my internal hard disk. The referenced files are located on an external USB hard disk.

This works great. It's fast (enough) and works perfectly with my backup strategy. Every night each of my hard drives are imaged to backup drives. So my internal drive “Macintosh HD” holding my Aperture library file gets completely imaged to “Macintosh HD Backup” and my “Personal HD” containing all of my referenced image files gets copied to “Personal HD Backup” each night.

By keeping a referenced library, I can keep using my backup solution which images out each disk (which would not work well if the library contained my photos in a managed format since the library file itself would appear to be new to my backup software each night and would possibly be backed up in its entirety each time…yikes!)

Incidentally, I'm using Super Duper to create my hard disk images.

I realize I have a pretty good backup regime going right now, but on the off change that my library does get broken, I would have a broken library on my internal disk and a copy of the broken library on my backup disk. So, I would like to use the Vault.

What I'm wondering about is whether or not I can safely locate my Vault on the same disk that my referenced files are located on. Is there a reason not to do this?

(It seems like a pretty good way to use the vault to me. It would get backed up with the referenced image files each night, and since it's with the photos it would become a totally standalone unit if something disastrous happened to my computer or internal hard disk.)

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks again!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 14, 2011 - 9:39am

Ksignorini,

Your methodology is fine. Just remember that the Vault doesn’t back up automatically; you have to click it manually to run it.

Also, while it doesn’t matter anymore, it’s entirely possible that your Super Duper software wouldn’t actually re-backup the entire Library. The Aperture Library is a package, and those have been around for ever on OS X, so most backup software knows how to look inside the package and only backup the delta.

And yes, definitely add a cloud backup to your regimen, if you have (really) high speed internet at home. Your local backups won’t help if your house burns down, or your computer and drives are stolen. Offsite backup is critical.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

ksignorini's picture
by ksignorini
June 14, 2011 - 12:46pm

Thanks Joseph.

I actually drop a copied hard drive in a safety deposit box at the bank every few months.

And that good stuff will be on the iCloud…very soon.

:)

Thanks!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?