You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vault vs. Time Machine for Managed Library #1
Nick Batos's picture
by Nick Batos
May 10, 2010 - 10:15am

Would like to understand the pros/cons of each type of backup solution for my Aperture 3.0.3 library (on Mac OS 10.6.3). I am using a “Managed” library for my images. In either case, the backup would be on my Firewire-attached Drobo with the actual library on the iMac local disk. Thanks!

=nb3=

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 10, 2010 - 10:30am

Nick,

Backing up is on my (ever growing!) list of topics to post about. I definitely will. The short version though for you is that Time Machine will work just fine, and that will be backing up all of your images. I would recommend doing a File Vault to a separate drive and keeping it offsite, or adding a service like Backblaze to your system which backs up to the cloud (assuming you have a good internet connection at home). Local backup is great, but it’s not going to protect you if your house burns down. Cloud backup is great, but it can be slow to download deleted or missing files. Having both is really the best way to go.

good luck

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Nick Batos's picture
by Nick Batos
May 10, 2010 - 10:44am

Thanks Joseph for your answer. BTY I’ve heard Leo and crew on various TWiT podcasts talk about the 3-2-1 backup process: 3 copies (including your master) onto 2 different media (e.g., disk and tape) with 1 copy being offsite. Your reply will finally push me to implement the full 3-2-1 backup procedure. P.S. I’ve enjoying listening to you as well on This Week in Photography and always find useful info out of your discussions- keep it up!

=nb3=

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 10, 2010 - 10:48am

Thanks Nick! Yeah, those guys know a thing or two ;-) You can never be too safe!

good luck
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness