You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vaults and Libraries #1
Keith Foster's picture
by Keith Foster
March 9, 2013 - 2:23am

Can someone tell me why we need vaults when you can backup the libraries just the same .

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
March 10, 2013 - 5:39am

Vault’s can be created and incrementally updated totally within Aperture. To backup your library any other way requires more effort or knowledge of third party utilities.

For example, you can easily copy the library file to another drive in the Finder just by drag and drop. But what do you do after making a minor change to the library? You’d need to copy the entire library again instead of just the changes you made. When your library gets big, this will get time consuming and require more space on the backup drive.

You can use a third party utility like Chronosync to do the incremental backups of your library. But that requires additional SW which you need to buy and maintain and operate.

Thomas

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 9, 2013 - 9:34am

You can use either one. Vault is built into the application and available at the press of a few buttons. Recovery is also built into the application. Library copying makes you fully responsible if it doesn’t work right. I personally use Library copies. I like being able to export from copies and import back into the master if I accidentally delete something.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness