You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Versions "disassociated" from masters. #1
William Campbell's picture
by William Campbell
May 1, 2013 - 1:53am

Last week something went wrong with Aperture and the only recourse was rebuilding the library (about 14,000 images).Things seems restored and fine. However, looking at some old projects (2006 and before) I'm finding “versions” (that is, images that appear to have adjustments made) right next to their original master in the same stack. But the versions do not have the adjustments icon (lower right on preview in browser mode) and if you look at the adjustments panel in the inspector, nothing is checked. Hitting the “m” key shows the version to BE the original. Right-click to select “New Version from Original” basically just duplicates the disassociated version.

I don't know if this is related to the rebuild, but I suspect the disconnect happened at that time. I do notice that all the affected images (thousands) are all JPEG. I have not yet encountered any RAW images with this problem. I started shooting RAW exclusively around 2006-2007.

Is there a way to repair this problem. What may have caused this? Could it have been prevented if I knew something to do (or not to do)?

I suppose I could just delete the true “originals” and just keep the adjusted versions and treat them as new and improved originals.

Does anyone know why this happens and if it can be fixed?

Thanks.

Joe's picture
by Joe
May 1, 2013 - 7:17am

Willem,
Before to delete, please check the file size. Does this picture are the real original with modifications or the preview version saved by aperture?
J

William Campbell's picture
by William Campbell
May 2, 2013 - 6:51am

Joe,

What looks like the original is about 650 KB (these are old images from small camera). The “process” ones are about 1 MB. I assumed the smaller files were associated with the originals (not just previews) because they looked like the images right out of the camera. Now you have me wondering.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness