You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Very bad quality of pictures before to import ( Aperture3 ) #1
Carlos Bejarano's picture
by Carlos Bejarano
May 15, 2012 - 5:51pm

Hello everybody.
I'm a newbie on A3 and I have my first problem.
When I select my picture folder to import, the quality of the pictures is terrible in the viewer. I can't decide if the picture has the minimum quality to be imported or rejected.
I use JPG and NEF formats and I can see perfectly these files in the Finder.
Any idea ?

Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
May 15, 2012 - 8:51pm

If you increases the size of the thumbnails with the slider at the bottom of the view, do they look better? They will not look great, as they are the JPEG previews, but they should look good.

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 16, 2012 - 3:19am

Carlos,

What you see in the import window is the embedded JPEG on the RAW file. Depending on your camera, that could be a pretty big and good quality JPEG, or it could be a super small and crappy thumbnail.

You can double-click on the image to open the thumbnail larger, but no matter what camera you have, it’s not going to be good enough to test for sharpness.

You should really only deselect photos prior to import that are blatantly bad — lens cap on, pointed that the floor, shots like that. If you’re looking for critical sharpness, you must import the photo to make that judgement.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Carlos Bejarano's picture
by Carlos Bejarano
May 17, 2012 - 5:03pm

First of all, thank you very much to both.

Answer to Bob: I tried it before my post without an acceptable success.

Answer to Joseph: I understand your suggestion but I have the same problem with JPG files and, in both cases, all is running fine if I use Finder to view the pictures.
Really I can visualize very well the files in all my Mac programs except Aperture and ( new info ) Lightroom.

Thanks in advanced for your support.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 18, 2012 - 1:41am

Carlos,

I don’t have anything else to tell you… that’s simply how the import window works. All you view there is a small thumbnail that when double-clicked to open will look better, but will NOT be the full resolution image.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?