You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Video problem in Aperture 3.2 #1
vidpixarts@gmail.com's picture
by vidpixarts@gmail.com
October 26, 2011 - 6:44am

I am having difficulty with some video files in Aperture 3.2 with Lion 7.2

Some of the video files show a generic icon. Others look normal without the generic camera icon. But it seems that when I click on them, they all rev up the spinning beach ball and don't play within A3. I have exported some of them and they have played in quicktime.

This seems to have happened after Lion and Aperture 3.2. I suspect it is more a lion issue because I put that on in the last week. But I am not certain. I was doing some mass cataloging of previous material (which was already imported into Aperture) and that is when I discovered it. Note: this issue includes material shot with iOS devices..ios 4 updated to iOS 5.
Do we think it's a bug? Or am I making a mistake?

Thanks.

by vidpixarts@gmail.com
October 28, 2011 - 11:37pm

I uninstalled the 3ivx code and this seems to be a fix. That is, the videos now play. First I installed Aperture 3.2.1. this did not fix the issue. Then I did the uninstall and it seems to have worked. Some of the videos still have a generic camera logo, but they play.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 2, 2011 - 4:03am

Vidpixarts,

Glad to hear it’s playing now. You can try rebuilding the thumbnail for those videos with generic icons, or exporting the master then reimporting them. That might help.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by vidpixarts@gmail.com
October 26, 2011 - 6:54am

In this link from MACCREATE, the suggestion is to delete the 3ivx codec. The link explains how.

http://aperture.maccreate.com/2011/08/25/aperture-3-will-not-play-videos…

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 26, 2011 - 12:59pm

Vidipixarts,

Have you tried removing 3ivx yet, and did that solve the problem?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by vidpixarts@gmail.com
October 26, 2011 - 7:00pm

No, Joseph. I have not removed the codec yet. I wanted to see if the forum provided any more information. Also, I’m not sure if I should remove codecs if the issue appears to be a bug. I’m a bit surprised that others don’t appear to be having this video issue based on the forum traffic. Have you heard of the issue before?

Note: the video played before one of these updates(Aperture or Lion). Now I am wondering if it is an issue specific to my system since there does not appear to be traffic in this forum. On the other hand there is traffic about the video issue in other web-discussions. Do you see any negatives to deleted the codec?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 27, 2011 - 2:48am

Vidpixarts,

a tip for these forums… there’s a search box in the top left cover, and if you search for “3ivx”, you’ll find there were other discussions on this.

It’s a 3rd party codec that has been problematic in Lion, from what I understand. It’s not common for people to install additional video codecs since most files are QuickTime compatible these days, which is why you’re not hearing much about it.

Remove the codec and see if the problem goes away. And visit the 3ivx website to see if they have anything to say on the matter. You may not even need to reinstall it; I guess that depends on why you had it installed in the first place.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness