You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Viewing Movies From DSLR On A Laptop #1
Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
May 15, 2012 - 11:48am

Hi,
I'm wondering if it's possible to view a video on a macbook pro while taking a video with a DSLR? Seems like it should be possible, but I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I try.

Bob

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 15, 2012 - 11:50am

Live, as in using the Mac as a monitor? No chance. dSLRs will have a HDMI video out but that’s for plugging into a display with HDMI in, not a computer.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
May 15, 2012 - 12:44pm

Well, My Canon has an USB-A/V output as well as the HDMI. I was hoping that Aperture or maybe iMovie would play it as it recorded. But I’ll probably have to record a movie to the card and then import it, it sounds like.

Bob

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 15, 2012 - 12:48pm

That USB A/V output should be for an adapter cable that it comes with, and gives you composite video out. I don’t think it’s actually USB even, but I could be wrong.

You may be able to use the Canon software to see a low quality preview and even control the camera, but the full quality video has to be captured to the CF card then imported.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
May 15, 2012 - 1:21pm

You can capture the HDMI output of the camera using an external converter such as the Blackmagic Intensity. It connects to the Thunderbolt port on newer Macbook Pros. But you need to be wary of the output of your DSLR. Some of them degrade the HDMI output during recording to a lower resolution or add text overlays that won’t turn off.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness