You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wacom Bamboo Capture #1
iHarley's picture
by iHarley
January 10, 2012 - 6:29am

Kind of off topic, but I'm thinking about getting a pen based tablet, as I hear they're pretty useful. Anyone on here have any experience with the Bamboo Capture? In what ways does a tablet like this improve your workflow? And are there things to be aware of when using one in Aperture? Thanks!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 11, 2012 - 3:02am

Iain,

I can’t comment on the Bamboo specifically, but I’ve been using a Wacom tablet (the same one in fact) for over a decade.

Aperture’s tablet support is there, but pretty basic. But you can’t beat it for brushing in dodge & burn types of things. I find the performance when using it on the healing brush to be lacking, so usually go back to the mouse or trackpad for that. But it could also be because of my older model?

I’d love to hear what others think of their tablets, too!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Bob Miller's picture
by Bob Miller
January 12, 2012 - 12:41am

I was just looking at the Bamboo Capture in the store the other day. Seriously thinking about getting one. Yep, I’d love to hear about any experiences as well!

Bob

Bill Montgomery's picture
by Bill Montgomery
January 12, 2012 - 2:53am

I purchased a Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch a little more than a year ago. I thought long and hard about buying a much more expensive Intuos tablet. I went with this medium-sized Bamboo after seeing that the non-pro Wacom’s really have the same features and specs that the Intuos line had just a few years ago. I have experienced no problems whatsoever with the tablet or, specifically, between the tablet and A3. About the only difficulty I have is inadvertently hitting the button on the stylus due to where it is placed and the button’s pressure sensitivity. Eventually I remapped it so that it no longer effects the right mouse button menu every time I accidentally hit it.

If you do much retouching a tablet is a must-have. It is far more natural for most people to make adjustments holding a stylus like you would a paintbrush or pencil than it is using a mouse, touch pad, or track ball. I don’t get cramps in my hand like I did when I was retouching with a mouse and it is easier to make precise adjustments. And I can draw much nicer curve and arc motions. I’ll never attempt to retouch a large job without a tablet again.

I’ve read that some graphic artists have completely replaced their mice with their tablets, but I haven’t (even though it supports touch gestures). I find the mouse is better suited for general navigation around the computer desktop and most other applications. But I’m sure this is mostly preference.

Kathryn W.'s picture
by Kathryn W.
January 14, 2012 - 10:53am

I also have a Wacom Pen & Touch, which I love and I’ll never go back. I purchased it after I began experiencing carpel tunnel-like symptoms and the problems I was experiencing went away almost immediately. Fine touch-ups (heck, all touch-ups) are much easier, quicker, and comfortable to perform using the pen. (I really don’t use the touch portion, preferring the laptop’s track pad.) For all other mousing though, I use the Wacom pen almost exclusively.

I’ve found the Wacom tablet to be Aperture’s best friend and haven’t experienced any trouble incorporating it with the program.

Kathryn

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
January 14, 2012 - 11:16am

Thanks Bill and Kathryn… making it very tempting now. Wonder how it works as a touchpad….

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?