You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Warning Message: "Error opening the database for the library..." After Tranferring to New External Drive #1
Ben Hoppe's picture
by Ben Hoppe
May 30, 2013 - 1:52pm

I have Aperture 3. I recently had to move my 77 gig library from one external hard drive that wasn't mounting, (I believe because some part of the physical USB connection was damaged) to a different one. In order to move the data, I had to first run Disk Warrior so I could see the data on the original drive, then copied the data to a new external drive.

Now, when I try to open the Aperture library on the new external drive, I get the following “Warning” window:

“There was an error opening the database for the library “/Volumes/My Passport 1TB Black 1/Aperture Library.aplibrary”

Per Aperture's online manual, I have tried to open Aperture Library First Aid by pressing and holding “command + option” when launching Aperature and get the same message. Aperture First Aid does not open.

I have tried double clicking to open the library directly from the new external drive while pressing and holding “command + option” and get the same message.

Aperture Library First Aid will open if the new external drive is not mounted.

Aperture Library Fist Aid will open if I create a new Aperture library, make it the default, and then open it while pressing “command+option.”

I can also open Aperture normally if the default library is selected (the one in the Pictures folder) but when I try to switch to the library on the new drive the program prompts a restart of the application - at which point the error message appears again.

Also, upon trying to import the Aperture library from the external hard drive to a newly created Aperture library on my local hard drive, I get the following message: “The library cannot be imported because some of the data required for import could not be found.”

Lastly, I copied the library (drag and drop) from the new external drive to my local hard drive, tried to open it and got the same message. Tried to open it with “command+option” held and got the same message.

I'm working on a 2007 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8

Aperture is version 3.2.4

Like most people, this library not only contains photos but lots of other organizational work. Ideally there is a way to get the library fixed and open. If this can't be done, then the next step is to just get the photo files out.

So now I'll say, “Please help!”

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 31, 2013 - 10:42pm

Hi Ben

Because you moved the file back to the local drive, and it still doesn’t open, Im going to rule out that the 1TB WD HD is not formatted for HFS + . After verifying correct format then Id try a Vault restore form a non damaged HD, or a copy of the lib. If no Backup then there is a way to pull the individual images out of the Lib by right clicking on it and choose Show Package Contents. Look for a Masters Folder and make a copy of that for an additional back up. Sometimes Libs won’t open if the lib is made from one Version of AP and the new AP is different. Will the Lib open from iPhoto. Have you used iPhoto with this Lib? Start there and let us know. DBM

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness