You are here

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Watermarks? #1
Mike Lillo's picture
by Mike Lillo
April 10, 2011 - 5:14am

I just switched over from using LR (that i got for free from a friend) to Aperture. When I used to use LR I would edit my photo and then go to Export to add a watermark (usually if im editing a photo of my son i would add his name at the bottom). I havent found out how to do this on Aperture yet and would like some input on how to do so.

I have would the watermark tab under the print photo option but it doesnt seem the same because it was asking me for a file from my Mac

Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
April 10, 2011 - 7:30am

HAve you looked in the ApertureExerpt Tips section?

Watermarks in Aperture 3—Demystified (part 1) and (part 2)

R

Mike Lillo's picture
by Mike Lillo
April 10, 2011 - 11:42am

Well even with that you have to create something before you can insert it. all i want to do is type a name into a box and have Aperture put it into the picture and let me move it to where i want it to be.

Im probably going to have to export the photos to the desktop, import them to LR do the watermark, export them back to the desktop, and then put them back into Aperture. OR Aperture can just do the watermark the RIGHT way and make it much easier.

Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
April 10, 2011 - 12:17pm

Aperture will not do watermark the way you describe, which is to simply type something and have it show up on the image. I don’t know about right way or wrong way. It just does it this way. I don’t know how exporting to desktop, into light room, out of light room and back into aperture is any better. If it helps there are plugins which help with making watermarks the way you might want them, but I haven’t tried them. If you look here www.apple.com/aperture/resources/plugins.html you’ll see a few plugs you can use to extend aperture. This particular one may be what you’re looking for: www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/aperture/apertureborderfx.html and it’s free.

Milt Anglin's picture
by Milt Anglin
April 11, 2011 - 5:49am

You can use BorderFX to do this. It is a free app at: www.iborderfx.com/BorderFX/

Milt

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
July 9, 2011 - 5:45am

Apple needs to include internal watermark creation and insertion into the next major Aperture upgrade. right now, I am using iWatermark Pro to do my watermarks, and it’s OK, but, still it’s yet another step in the process that should not be necessary. This is one feature, IMO, that needs inclusion if Aperture is to continue trumpeting itself as a professional application. Even a plug-in will suffice.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
July 10, 2011 - 4:56am

Milt,

BorderFX also needs the watermark text to be created externally (like in Photoshop). It asks to import the watermark image. Or am I missing something?

Tom

Thomas

by Thomas Emmerich
July 10, 2011 - 6:03am

Interestingly I just saw a recommendation for watermarking SW from RedRiverPaper called iWatermark. It claims to be integrated with Aperture although I don’t know what that means. I haven’t tried it. It costs $30. If anyone is willing to try it, report back with results.

plumamazing.com/mac/iwatermark

Thomas

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 10, 2011 - 7:24pm

Actually, BorderFX has 2 options. You can add a copyright notice very easily. In the current version of BorderFX you add a text box, and can select if you want to add the copyright notice. It will then pick up the field from the IPTC data.

However, if you do want to add a logo type watermark etc then using BorderFx is the same as exporting from Aperture itself, ie you need to create the watermark in another programme.

Hope that makes sense.

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
July 11, 2011 - 1:40am

Tom, I have iWatermark Pro, the $30 one, and unless I am missing something it does NOT integrate with Aperture. It’s still yet another external process in the workflow, something I would sure like to get around eventually. Plus, the documentation is online at Google, so that makes it tougher. So is it worth $30? The jury is still out, but it beats nothing at all, and I am too stubborn and principled to throw $$ to Adobe’s very overpriced and feature-cluttered products. That’s why I am an Aperture man : )

by Thomas Emmerich
July 11, 2011 - 3:03am

Thanks for that feedback on iWatermark Jim. So this is an “External Editor” as far as Aperture is concerned. A built in watermark process that could be used along with Flickr and Facebook exporters instead of having to export the image to the HD would be a bonus. I too like to avoid going outside the Aperture workflow.

Thomas

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
July 11, 2011 - 11:32am

well, it works, but it’s not very intuitive, interface-wise, and kinda clunky overall. However it does have some interesting editing features. According the creator, he *says* the next version, due “later this summer”, will integrate with Aperture, how, he did not say, as a plug-in or ?? In the interim, it will do.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 28, 2012 - 5:52am

I’ve been using BorderFX just recently. I like that it allows for presets, adding metadata text, and adding copyright notice. And it does output sharpening which Aperture lacks. Its a very nice tool for free.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?