You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is happening with smugmug in Aperture? #1
Parallax's picture
by Parallax
November 22, 2013 - 4:59pm

So my old workflow was to have a smart folder in Aperture based on a few key characteristics.  When I finished a project (ok, it’s never really finished, right?) I would use the excellent smuginForAperture plug in to upload.  Within this plug in, I made sure to convert to sRGB, as Smugmug recommends.

When I used the new SmugMug link in Aperture 3.5, it seemed like it was trying to download every photo I had on smugmug (not good, considering there are hundreds of thousands there, it would probably decimate my hard drive, and make Aperture unusable) and also run face detection on them.  Is this right?  Any idea if it will convert color spaces (I haven’t seen anything in smugmug yet say that they can deal with color spaces other than sRGB)?

I can’t figure out what is going on, but it seems bad, given how quickly my computer ground to a halt when I turned on the smugmug link

Thanks!

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
November 22, 2013 - 8:42pm

I’m betting that Apple has integrated SmugMug in much the same manner as they did Facebook and Photo Streams. It tries to display for you all of your images and albums. Since I don’t have a SmugMug account I cannot confirm this for you.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 23, 2013 - 3:28am

Do you have the “Automatically check for newly published albums” option enabled in Preferences? (see below) Try disabling it to see if it does what you’re looking for.

Thomas

Tom McKay's picture
by Tom McKay
November 24, 2013 - 8:39pm

I use SmugMug/Aperture. Now you do not need the plug in & I have to say works seamlessly. When you activate to let SmugMug ‘use’ Aperture you will see your SmugMug in the SHARED section with all your uploaded albums. They are in the cloud & once loaded up you can do what you like with them in Aperture! 

It does not download anything to your hard drive - its cloud, so there is NO editing if you open an image in Aperture. Of course SMG is not meant to be anything other than a storage facility, albeit you can manipulate the whole image but its not a photo editor, nor meant to be. 

You never have enough gear!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness