You are here

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where are the original images? #1
Steve Benkovich's picture
by Steve Benkovich
June 22, 2012 - 12:28am

Thank you for all the information on Aperture 3.3. I've been reading and using many of the suggestions. I myself like the clean look of this version.
My question is about the original images. I downloaded 3.3, and started using it with my current library, so as to get use to it. Then last night I imported all the images on my card to 3.3 and began to edit some. I'm use to my edited version(s) appearing next to my original image. However this seems to have changed. Any ideas how to get this back?

Steve Benkovich

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 30, 2012 - 6:18pm

Sarah,

Have you tried the basic maintenance steps, like trashing preferences and/or repairing the database? See the FAQ if you aren’t sure how to do any of these.

Apologies if you’ve already done that and said so — this turned into a long thread and I may have missed it if you said you did.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 2, 2012 - 2:02pm

Joseph

Sorry for the slow response, I’ve been travelling.

Yes, I’ve done the database repair a number of times but no joy. Will do the preference trashing later today.

Sarah

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 22, 2012 - 4:15am

Steve,

The option is in the Avanced preferences “create new version when making adjustments”. Sounds like that got turned off. [screenshot].

Also check your “automatically stack new versions” selection [screenshot] and ensure that’s where you want it, too.

@PhotoJoseph

by Steve Benkovich
June 22, 2012 - 4:40am

Thank you Joseph for your quick reply. I’ve tried both and I’m still having the same issue. My original image is no longer seen next to the edited version. I’ve made certain that I’ve clicked “open all stacks”.
Thank you.

Steve Benkovich

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 22, 2012 - 4:57am

Changing that setting will only affect newly adjusted images, not old ones you already adjusted. However are you sayin that old images you previously adjusted and previously had next to the original are no longer there?

@PhotoJoseph

by Steve Benkovich
June 22, 2012 - 5:18am

Pre Aperture 3.3 install still shows the master and all versions I’ve made. Post 3.3 install only the new version appears. The master is there when I click the “show original” button, just not next to the newly adjusted version.

Steve Benkovich

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 22, 2012 - 7:14am

Huh… OK, that’s not cool.

I wonder, could it be possible that your sorting is on manual? Ensure that sorting is set “by date” and see if things line back up.

Otherwise I’m stumped. Definitely never heard this one before.

If you make an adjustment now to a non-adjsuted image, do you immediately get a new version as expected?

Also have you tried any of the repair database routines? If you’re not familiar, please go to the FAQ and look for those.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

by Steve Benkovich
June 22, 2012 - 8:55am

Checked and the sorting is “by date”. Checked again, and pre install images (projects) immediately generate a new version with the edits I made. Post 3.3 install images (projects) only show new version and hide the original or master image.
I haven’t tried any of the repair database routines yet. I always get a little twitchy when it comes to this. I have my images (180gigs) in a vault which has been updated post 3.3 install. So I have a backup. Looks like the middle repair routine is the one to try?

Steve Benkovich

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 22, 2012 - 8:58am

Odd indeed. Yep, middle option, “repair database”.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

by Steve Benkovich
June 22, 2012 - 9:53pm

Well, repair database finished. I launched Aperture and made some edits. Only the edited version was showing. No original next to it. As usual the master can be seen when I click the show original button. Any other thoughts?

Steve Benkovich

by Steve Benkovich
June 22, 2012 - 10:56pm

I have some other info. When I make a duplicate from the master from the menu, the dup is separate from the edited version. Previously the master was included in a shadowed brick with the edited version(s). Now making a duplicate is completely separate from the original. strange.

Steve Benkovich

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 23, 2012 - 1:34am

Steve,

That “shadowed brick” is a stack. That happens if you have “automatically stack new versions” enabled, as I described and included a screenshot to in my first reply.

So if that’s not set right, I have to ask you to double check that the first option I outlined, “create new version when making adjustments” in the preferences to which there is also a screen shot above, is enabled.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
June 23, 2012 - 3:21am

Glad I found this thread, I was about to post something similar. If you think this is hijacking this thread, as it’s not the exact same problem at all, please feel free to remove it!

I definitely have the Auto Stack set to off and the create new version set to on.

Here’s what’s happening to me. If I make an adjustment in Aperture, the edited version is place next to the original, but to the left of the original (previously it was always to the right). If I round trip to Nik with the edited version then it places the image to the right of the Aperture edited version meaning the order is now seen as Aperture Version 2, Nik Version, Original, so you get the most recently edited image to the directly to the left of the original.

However, if you do the round trip to external editor or plug first in then it places the image to the right of the original. Then if you make an adjustment in Aperture to the externally edited version, it places to the left of that image. In this scenario it will look like this Original, Aperture Version 2, Nik Version.

Is this the way it’s supposed to work? It seems very confusing to my poor little brain if it is, especially when my other 30,000 images that were edited in 3.2.x are all ordered in a totally different way.

I hope my description make sense. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 23, 2012 - 3:41am

Sarah,

It sounds like a sorting order change. The sorting might be on manual or some other method. You probably want date, oldest first.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
June 23, 2012 - 3:43am

No, actually, it’s set already in date order oldest first. (Manual sort is even greyed out). I meant to state that in the original post.

And interestingly it’s still stacking everything, even though I have automatic stacking turned off. (That’s annoying). So I manually unstacked the images and now I have the same problem as Steve above in that I have no original shown.

This is after I just did a database rebuild.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 23, 2012 - 4:06am

Sarah,

Hm, not really sure then. Create a new project and see if it happens there too, or if it’s only on older projects? Also even though the sorting is set right, try changing it to anything else then back again.

Manual can’t be turned on; you simply drag a thumbnail into a different place and it becomes manually sorted.

@PhotoJoseph

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
June 23, 2012 - 4:08am

It’s a bit weird I have to say. I’ve tried new and old projects and it’s the same. I’m a bit perplexed I have to be honest.

Thanks for the tip about the manual sorting, I didn’t know that. Always learn something new here :)

Thanks for your help, I’ll keep at it and see if I can get it to behave.

by Steve Benkovich
June 23, 2012 - 4:56am

Sarah thanks for your input. I have seen the the same switch right to left, left to right with my pre 3.3 upgrade images. Whats strange is that I can edit my pre 3.3 upgrade images and have the versions nest to the master. With my post 3.3 upgrade I only have the new version showing.I’ve enabled the auto stack new versions and disabled the auto stack, and have enabled the create new versions when making adjustments, but I still have the same problem. Hidden master and only the latest edited version showing. I’ve reimported the images on the card to check, but the problem still exists.

Steve Benkovich

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
June 23, 2012 - 6:07am

Phew, it’s not just me :)

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18705756#18705756

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness