You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why do we need Vaults? #1
Keith Foster's picture
by Keith Foster
July 14, 2012 - 2:59am

I have about 20 Aperture Libraries on my External Drive all load in Aperture fine, why do I need a Vault which just seems to copy everything again?

Kevin Edwards's picture
by Kevin Edwards
July 14, 2012 - 3:36am

You have 20 unique Aperture Libraries on an external drive? You are backing that drive up aren’t you? You are keeping a backup of that drive at another location right? That drive will fail at some point and you will lose everything on it.

Vaults do incremental backups. So for example, let’s say you have a 100GB library and you make a tiny little change to it. The Vault may update with that tiny little change very quickly. If you try to copy the library, it will take a long time for that 100GB to copy over.

Keith Foster's picture
by Keith Foster
July 14, 2012 - 4:17am

Thanks Kevin, yes I do back up of that drive and the Libraries. I have had 2 drives fail over the last 2 years Lacies! now use OCW Mercury Elite Pro which I am told are very reliable.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 14, 2012 - 5:08pm

Vaults have a couple other advantages too. The backup Aperture settings files like keyboard shortcuts and metadata which aren’t stored in the library. They also give an extra backup of deleted images as well, which has (sadly, in a way) come in very handy for me.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness