You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why some Aperture movies don't show up in iMovie #1
Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 1, 2010 - 1:07am

iMovie has the ability to peek into Aperture and display movies you've imported into Aperture as events in iMovie. However, there are some limitations, some of which are changed between iMovie '09 and iMovie '11.

In iMovie '09, 24p movies in Aperture are not shown because iMovie '09 can't handle them. in iMovie '11 they are there and are even marked as 24p.

One limitation that seems to remain is iMovie does not show movies that are in Aperture's library as referenced files (i.e. the actual movie file is not inside the Aperture library - only a reference to it).

I'm wondering if Joseph (or anyone else) knows why iMovie won't show Aperture referenced movies. I suppose I could change my setup to make these movies managed but it bloats the library and makes backup and recovery long and cumbersome (not to mention I have my library backing up via Backblaze.com and the movie files are a bit much for that).

Thomas

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 2, 2010 - 6:29am

There’s a support article from Apple about this limitation. I guess it could be a bug which they are documenting as a “feature” in this article but it seems more like by design. I’m sure they have a reason for doing it but from my perspective they are crippling a major capability that I desire. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3329

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 3, 2010 - 9:33pm

Thanks Thomas. I still call it a bug :)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 1, 2010 - 1:20am

Thomas,

Interesting observation. I don’t know the reason (I suspect it’s a bug, frankly) and will see if I can find out.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?