You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Windows 7/ Internet Explorer experience #1
Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 14, 2013 - 9:00pm

I’ve been using the site from Windows 7/IE 8 at work. My observations so far:

1. Every new page load gives me a warning dialog about secure and unsecure content. Apparently even though the site is using https, some of the content is being loaded as http. My security settings are frozen by an administrator so I don’t know if there would otherwise be a way to disable that warning on my end. It’s pretty darn annoying. But so is the rest of Windows.

2. The tiles that are supposed to be on the right side of the page show up at the bottom of the page at full page width. I’ve seen this before on other websites with W7/IE8.

3. I recall seeing site content menus at the top of each page when using Safari on a Mac. With W7/IE8 there’s nothing at the top of the page to jump to the forum, store, tips, etc. On some pages the path is shown at the top so you can go back up it. (e.g. you can jump to the top of the forum when viewing a forum post)

4. My administrators have this system locked down pretty tight so some issues could be caused by things being blocked. Many sites provide a terrible experience from this computer. I don’t know if it’s because of how the security settings are done or whether it’s because of IE8. Some sites (e.g. iCloud.com, gmail) complain I’m using an outdated browser and some features won’t work right. Nothing I can do about that.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 15, 2013 - 4:38am

Thomas,

Thanks for checking on windows! Thanks for taking one for the team ;-) 

To respond…

1. That's going to happen until we get off dev.apertureexpert.com. Our SSL certificate is for apertureexpert.com only. I really didn't feel like spending $100 for another certificate to get us through the beta :)
  2. Interesting and odd. But you've seen it before? No matter what size you make the window, the sidebar content is always at the bottom?
  3. Heck yeah you should have menus at the top.
  4. I don't even know what is the current version of windows or IE, but if those really are old versions, there's nothing I can do about that. It's a very modern website and requires a modern system. Then again, so does Aperture :)

Please let me know about the questions above, thank you.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 15, 2013 - 7:34am

1. I also get that mixed security warning with gmail.com. I didn’t think it was because of the certificate issue. I guess we’ll see in a few days.

2. My window was pretty wide already. parislemon.com used to do it but that site has been changed since then. Web page formatting frequently looks wrong with IE8.

3. Now that I’m back on my Mac I see the menus at top again. They are completely gone or hidden in IE8. The “ApertureExpert” text at the top was partially visible. I think I could only see part of the “xp” of Expert. It was like it was scaled way up. Wierd.

4. According to Wikipedia, the version that originally shipped with Windows 7 was IE8. But the current version is IE11. I’m farther behind than I thought.

I had frequent issues with the old ApertureExpert site as well. Sometimes when I tried to post a comment it just wouldn’t take it. But at least my work PC is highly secure. So secure that data frequently doesn’t get in or out.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 15, 2013 - 9:32pm

Yikes… OK yeah I'm not calling incompatibility with IE8 a bug if IE11 is latest. Can only do so much :) Thanks for checking.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?