You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Workflow for Nik #1
Jeppe Andersen's picture
by Jeppe Andersen
April 2, 2013 - 6:20pm

Hello.

I just bought the Nik software collection. But, how is the workflow?

So far - I make small adjustments like curves and retouching skin (as instructed in the Nik software video bundle from Aperture Expert).

I then sharp to make sure my image is as sharp as I want it. Then I open it in Color Efex Pro or Silver Efex Pro.

After that - export. But do I sharp at the right moment? What do I use the sharpen tool from Nik for? And what about Dfine? Those plugins are not mentioned in the video bundle.

Hope for some help :)

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
April 2, 2013 - 9:14pm

This is directly from the Nik website:

Suggested Workflow

What is the recommended workflow when using the Nik Collection?

The recommended workflow for the Nik Collection is as follows:

1. If desired, apply Raw Presharpener using Sharpener Pro 3.0.
2. Apply noise reduction using Dfine 2.0.
3. Control color and light using Viveza 2.
4. Apply filter enhancements using Color Efex Pro 4.
5. Convert to black and white using Silver Efex Pro 2.
6. Apply output sharpening using Sharpener Pro 3.0.

If you would like to learn more about the products and how to use them, there are online learning resources available. Please click to view our training videos or visit our blog.

Jeppe Andersen's picture
by Jeppe Andersen
April 3, 2013 - 5:34pm

Thanks ! I help me …

But I also wanted to hear what other peoples workflow is - why presharp before noise reduction?

When do people go into Nik software ? Some basis editing can be done in Aperture, actually some of the work like Vivarva can be done completly in Aperture with brushes.

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
April 3, 2013 - 6:53pm

Hi
My workflow is - very little in Aperture. A quick tweak of the Luminance curves tool, Little sharpening are the main ones. Then it’s over to Viveza, I feel more control is available here than using Aperture’s brushes. Then it’s into Silver efx pro2.

Please note that I do have a thing about post processing. Basically if I can’t do it in less than 5 -10 minutes then something maybe wrong with my photography skills. It seems to me that more people are getting bogged down with computers & processing of their images. To be honest, I’d rather be out taking photos.

However I would like to know if the Nik HDR issues have gone away with the new google upload of Niksoft complete collection.

Paul.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?