You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Working with Nik Tools #1
Sami Faltas's picture
by Sami Faltas
January 25, 2010 - 4:37am

I am beginning to work with Nik plug-ins for Aperture and beginning to appreciate their power. But I have a disturbing problem with Silver Efex Pro. When I’ve tweaked a B&W photo to my liking and I save it, Silver Efex Pro returns me to Aperture, where my pic looks completely different from the result I have just achieved. Why does this happen? How can I prevent it from happening? Thanks for any help you can provide.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 25, 2010 - 4:53am

Sami,

I’ve seen a similar problem where the thumbnail and even the preview don’t match, but then when you export the file, it actually IS the correct image. Is that what you’re seeing? Also, does it appear that a different effect is being applied, or that NO effect is being applied?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Sami Faltas's picture
by Sami Faltas
January 25, 2010 - 4:58am

Thanks Joseph, and my compliments on your new in-depth book for starters.

I do see changes after editing in SEP, but after saving the pic and returning to Aperture, the pic changes for the worse. I haven’t tried exporting the offending images to see if they turn out okay after all. I will and tell you if that makes a difference.

Sami Faltas's picture
by Sami Faltas
January 25, 2010 - 5:19am

Hi Joseph. The problem does seem to disappear when I export the image. It’s still annoying that I can’t view it properly in Aperture. Or can I?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 25, 2010 - 5:30am

I’ve seen this only once before and to be honest I don’t recall if I ever got it fixed. However you can try rebuilding the thumbnail, rebuilding the preview image (if you hold down the option key when you click the Image menu, the Update Previews command changes to Generate Previews, and it will replace the existing one). If that doesn’t work, you can reimport the edited image and just stack it with the original (since the actual file appears to be fine, this should work). If you see this problem continuously, I’d suggest rebuilding the database (launch Aperture with command-option held down). However as always before doing something that dramatic, make sure you have a current backup.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness