You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Working smarter with originals and copies? #1
John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
June 26, 2013 - 10:57am

I use Nik software to massage some images, which means I then have the original and the Nik image. To date, I've been transferring both images to specific Project categories, but this is becoming cumbersome. Any tips on separating the two types, yet still be able to locate easily the originals, should I want to make a new copy? I suppose I could have two separate Projects (Originals and Copies) for each category of image, though this too will doubtlessly become cumbersome over time. But maybe there is no practical alternative?

Russell's picture
by Russell
June 26, 2013 - 3:31pm

Two Albums under a Project, one with “Originals” and the other with “Nik Edits” would seem to do what you want. Then simply drag images into the appropriate folder.

If you just use Nik plugins (and nothing else except Aperture for editing) and produce TIFFs as a result, you could use Smart Albums and automagically separate the edited copies by using the rule, “File Type = TIFF”. If you shoot raw, you can set up a separate Smart Album for your originals with “File Type = RAW” as a rule.

There’s also an option to set File Type as “Externally Edited” but I’m not sure if this works with plugins versus say, using PhotoShop set up as your external editor in your Preferences. (I don’t think it does recognise a round trip with a plugin as an “External Edit”; more knowledgable folk can correct me if I’m wrong on this).

Russell

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
June 26, 2013 - 10:38pm

Russell–Of course! Albums. Thanks for the reminder.

Russell's picture
by Russell
June 27, 2013 - 6:28pm

You’re welcome, John.

Russell

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
June 27, 2013 - 9:27pm

Russell (or other knowledgeable soul), some questions about your advise on using Albums.

1. Is there a problem with moving Originals and Nik edits directly into the appropriate albums, rather than into the Project first?

2. I just moved a couple of images now, per your suggestion, but regards the Original, I just seem to have made a copy, as the true Original remains in a separate Project. If I delete this true Original, I lose the copy, which negates the reason for doing this operation. What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
June 28, 2013 - 3:36am

John

An original has to live in a project. Albums and Smart Albums joust point to that project as if it were really there. It’s an “alias” or a “shortcut”.

Once you convert to TIFF that’s another original you’ve made as it is a destructive edit of the master. Aperture (non-destructive) edits don’t create a new original, they just create another rendering of the first using different parameters.

Hope that helps.

d.

d.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness