You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Worried about Multi-user #1
Chad's picture
by Chad
February 11, 2015 - 7:09pm

I can’t imagine that I am the only one with this concern. Right now my wife & I take many photos with 3 primary devices.. Each of our iPhones and our SLR

iWhile Photos appears to have my main desire solved: all photos are on all devices.. this seems tied to a single iCloud account (from what I have read). Since iOS7 they really made sharing a single iCloud account not practical. My concern is how this will work with my spouse.

How will my wife’s photos (automatically being key) be part of the library I setup and vice versa (meaning she sees the entire library on her phone). 

Does anyone have creative ideas? I was hoping the Family aspect of iCloud may solve this - but am not seeing it. But a single-user focused solution is just something I have battled with for so long. 

Is this a perceived problem for others? 

P.S. I am very excited for the opportunity to evaluate and provide feedback on the new application. Hoping it is released to the open OS X BETA people soon.

Luc L.L.'s picture
by Luc L.L.
February 16, 2015 - 6:34pm

Hi Chad,

Fully with you here….

I have a similar problem (and mess :)) with Aperture and anything else I used before Aperture to properly share, add and exchange photos within the family.  Sharing the lib in Aperture is also not working well, and I had hoped the same thing that the family sharing might bring the solution, but im more and more thinking it wont….

On OS X you can at least still have a different account for the iCloud photo stream and eg, calendars etc.  but on an iOS devices you can only define 1 iCloud account for photos and calendars together (unless I missed something) and thats the one that Photos would use (to my understanding).  So you because of this, have potentially albums across multiple family iCloud account to share within the cloud to have them accessible to everyone.  And if you want an album with combined pictures you would have to copy them across the accounts into one album.

When you allow family sharing, you can share the “Family” album with your family or individual albums, but that would mean that you have to share each album individually with your family members as you would with others.   … and all of these would have to be in the cloud.  (no internet, no photos)

I am/would hope that Photos would support the photo sharing over the local wifi maybe via the iTunes application, as it does today with Music. then you would not need the family sharing nor the iCloud.

Today you can share your Aperture photos that way but they are only accessible by iTV and not by other iTunes users in the shared network (as it is with Music…. talking about consistency here :-( ) … .if that would be possible that would be nice for family sharing :)

If that wont be possible, Im seriously considering a tool like IDImager which has a server function and where you can have multiple users on the same library/catalog (or whatever they call that)… or if anyone has any other tool that support multi-users? Im very interested how others solve this family/sharing/using/viewing/uploading problem.

Luc - Mini/MBP/MBPR - QNAP NAS, Nikon D5300, AW100, Sony TR3

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness