You are here

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
toddba's picture
by toddba
June 6, 2014 - 6:19pm

Confirmed Jochens point, Look in the dock. Definitely looks like an aperture icon to me!

toddba's picture
by toddba
June 6, 2014 - 6:34pm

Actually as I watch the video there is a brief mouse over, the app currently is titled “RAWExpose” which is the app they are demoing in this part of the presentation. I’d encourage everyone to watch it, lots of cool advancements like noise reduction, lens correct ect..  Did they just change the app name for this demo to toy with us? Or is this maybe the new direction, an app that provides raw processing and robust photo management tools.. Heh, guess we’ll see when Yosemite arrives. 

Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
June 6, 2014 - 6:39pm

Of course it’s hard to tell much, especially this early. And there won’t be much to see until “next year” when they release some new photo product(s).

If we’re lucky we’d get a new app that makes it easy for anyone to manage and adjust RAW images but that exposes tools for the “serious” photography behind the “simple” interface.

Apple has been so tight lipped that it’s hard to know what they intend. And thus is the problem for the real professional photographers who need to make business decisions for the future.

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

Jeff's picture
by Jeff
June 6, 2014 - 7:31pm

Can someone post a link to the developer video please?  Exciting stuff!

toddba's picture
by toddba
June 6, 2014 - 7:35pm

@jeff sorry should have in the last comment. 

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2014/

video is titled “Advances in Core Image” it’s about an hour long, OSX stuff appears in the second half.

toddba's picture
by toddba
June 6, 2014 - 7:37pm

jeff sorry should have in the last comment. 

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2014/

video is titled “Advances in Core Image” it’s about an hour long, OSX stuff appears in the second half.

Jeff's picture
by Jeff
June 6, 2014 - 10:47pm

Just finished watching the video.  I believe this is mainly targeted at third party software and allowing them to use Apple Core Image baked in tools to do image edits to RAW files.  These adjustments as we all know are rudimentary and have been around for years.  It seems like they might be good for a developer making a new photos type app, so they can take advantage of these.  

When he hovered over the Lens icon, it looked like RAWExpose.  Freeze your video with 3:18 left you will see the name.   This was the app he used earlier to demo the slider adjustments to the RAW file.  It has nothing to do with a new Apple photography program as far as I could tell.  

Jochen H. Schmidt's picture
by Jochen H. Schmidt
June 6, 2014 - 11:30pm

Jeff,

of course this demo was for developers who want to create apps using CIRawFilter. This is actually a video from a WWDC developer session you know? ;)

The tooltip says RAWExpose and it is a Demo program for the CIRawFilter - but the Icon is indeed a colorless, simplified variant of the Aperture-Icon. I very seldom see developers create new Icons for simple Demo programs and the program he actually (!) demonstrated indeed had a generic icon. Question: If there will be no new Aperture - why does one create a new Aperture-icon fitting into the new 10.10 visual style?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
June 7, 2014 - 2:48am

Based on references and demos made in several of the videos I’ve watched, I predict iPhoto and Aperture will converge into Photos. The iOS and OS X world are becoming more seamless.

Jochen H. Schmidt's picture
by Jochen H. Schmidt
June 7, 2014 - 3:17am
That’s absolutely possible, but on the other side: Photos is just what Photos was on iOS before- just better und better integrated. As Apple brought other iOS apps to the Mac they will bring Photos to the Mac too. It will be the central photo management solution over iOS and MacOS X with perfect iCloud integration. What could iPhoto be? Well: how about just a simple solution for calendars, books, greeting cards and so on? How about being a provider for hundreds of Instagram like filters (photo edit extensions)? Aperture could still be a program much more similar to what FCPX and Logic X are now, but running on Photos Kit and with similar perfect integration. Short: I think it is to early to argue that thereis no place for Aperture or no thing to stay at the place of this dark Aperture icon.
Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
June 9, 2014 - 11:54pm

I wrote a piece on the ApertureExpert Google+ Community with my thoughts on where the product line is going. It is pure speculation on my part based on the WWDC talks and demonstrations.

bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
June 12, 2014 - 4:40pm

I hope you’re right Walter, and I agree that some of what I heard at WWDC has me excited, while the lack of news of Aperture 4 makes me a bit worried.  I’m not as pessimistic as many here are though.  Apple has made a lot of improvements to Aperture 3 and never charged a dime for it.  This is counter to Adobe’s approach with Lightroom.

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

Faizan's picture
by Faizan
June 21, 2014 - 8:30am

Well, I think wwdc 14 is over, so was that all we expected from it?

Anna's picture
by Anna
December 19, 2014 - 10:05am

A new photo App was announced coming to the Mac in early 2015.

Pages

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?