You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adding several hierarchical keywords at once for stock photography #1
Gracilis's picture
by Gracilis
December 24, 2013 - 5:05pm

Hi I am quite new to this whole hierarchical keyword thing . I just bought an extensive keyword list from Foto keywords.com and I want to get it right from the beginning. 

My question, however, is it possible to add multiple keywords at once to one or more pictures for stock photography.

For example, when I add the Keyword skateboarding which is subordinate to both boardsports and sports; can the system add those higher keywords automatically at the same time ? It doesn’t appear so. It seems as though I have to apply three keywords each one by themselves if I want all three of them applied for stock photography.

Is the hierarchical keywording system in Aperture then primarily useful for personal use to find the pictures you want easily. for stock Photography it will primarily help you remember to add all the associated keywords, but you have to add each subordinate keyword by itself? 

Best regards and a very happy Christmas to you all.  Lars.

Gracilis

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
December 24, 2013 - 7:16pm

I wasn’t sure of the answer to this myself so I searched Google. As it turns out there are a number of discussions about this elsewhere. The short answer is that Aperture knows the parent keywords of the assigned “leaf” keyword, but it will only assign the “leaf” keyword to the image. However, searching on any of the parent keywords will find the image.

In your example, imagine you have Sports > Boardsports > Skateboarding. If you add Skateboarding as the associated keyword, you would also find your image in a search for Boardsports or a search for Sports, but Boardsports and Sports would not be assigned.

One person wrote an AppleScript that insures that all the keywords in the hierarchy are included when you export an original or a version of an image. That would be very useful.

Here is a more current discussion about this topic from the Apple Discussions site.

Applying Keyword Hierarchies to Images

Gracilis's picture
by Gracilis
December 26, 2013 - 7:08pm

Thank you Walter, this was very helpful.

I automatically assumed that the leaf Keyword would be assigned too, when the parent keyword was assigned. Anything else seemed counterproductive to me. The site, where I bought the keyword list from mentioned, that programs such as Aperture didn’t support that hierarchical keyword list due to many of the words were in curly and square brackets in the list; thus, I had to remove them in a text editing program in order to make them work.

However, then I found out, that even the keywordlist that comes with Aperture does not support simultaneously assigning/filling. Now I know that Aperture doesn’t support  the parent and leaf keyword assigning at once, besides from the possibility with the AppleScript. 

Do you know if Joseph have covered this anytime. I haven’t been able to find anything on this issue on the Apeture expert site. 

For me the program Aperture has so far been a very nice experience compared to for example Photoshop. Efficiency, however, is key to me, so I think it is a problem that Aperture does not support the assignment of parent ,leaf keywords at one. As I can read other programs such as lightroom and Photoshop do support this feature.

I will definitely check out the AppleScript thing and see if I can make it work even though I’m not a computer Savage.

thanks for your time and happy Christmas and a great New Year. 

Best regards lars from Denmark. :-)

Gracilis

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?