You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture resetting auto-curves? #1
Jason's picture
by Jason
February 3, 2013 - 9:56am

FIrst, I'm using Aperture 3.4.3 with all the other latest system software updates (there, got that out of the way).

I often use Aperture's auto-enhance function as a start to image adjustments. Just today when I started Aperture and started in on my latest project, I noticed that all of the curves adjustments are being reset - sort of: the curves brick isn't reset to its default or starting state, rather it removes the S-curve and assigns new black & white points.

During investigating this I found Joseph's article on auto-curves (“New Auto-Curves Behavior & Getting the Old Way Back”) and it seems as though it is reverting to the “old” curves adjustment.

Why is that?

The only thing I've done (in between my original adjustments and today when I discovered they are being reset) is repaired and then rebuilt the library because I had a problem where Aperture “lost” many originals. These steps didn't fix that problem & I had to connect the files manually.

So, any ideas if I can fix my curves problem and any idea why it happened?

Jason's picture
by Jason
February 5, 2013 - 5:46am

Did a little troubleshooting work:

I didn’t reinstall Aperture, but I did trash the Preferences, but problem persisted.

I restored a previous version of the library file and all of those curves were ok (i.e., did not “reset” to the old style nor remove the auto-generated S-curve).

Chose one image that had previously been adjust with the Auto-Enhance effect and changed the curve to the old style by option-clicking the auto-luminance button. I checked other images and they remained unchanged. So the presence of the old style curve on a recent image doesn’t mess with other images.

On this restored library file I repaired the database. All images remained unchanged.

Then I rebuilt the database and they problem reappeared: images with the auto-enhance effect changed the curves adjustment.

Weird. Looks like I’m okay as long as I do not rebuild the database.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?