You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Backup issue #1
Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
January 30, 2012 - 3:44am

Hi guys n gals

This is not technically an aperture 3 issue, however I'm now struggling to get my issue resolved so I'd like to see if anyone has an answer.

As usual at the end of an aperture 3 session I backed up to my external drive, actually I should say tried to backup. My Lacie drive has suddenly appeared with a padlock on the desktop icon. It is now only a read only drive. How can I unlock it? I've searched but can't find an answer. I went to disk utility/ repair but to no avail.

I would be very grateful if anyone can share their knowledge.

Paul.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
January 30, 2012 - 4:13am

In the Finder, select the external drive icon and select File->Get Info (command I). What do you see in the Sharing & Permissions section?

Thomas

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
January 30, 2012 - 4:27am

Thomas
Thank you so much for your help. I have three names, one showing read and write, staff & everyone read only. trying to figure out how to change all of them to read write but keep coming up with not the necessary permission.

Paul.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 1, 2012 - 3:26am

Paul,

Here’s a [screenshot] of my own external drive’s info pane. Notice that at the bottom there’s an “ignore ownership” option. You’ll have to unlock it first (see the arrow) to enable that. This should fix the problems.

Also you can see how my permissions are set (which is default state) so if those don’t match, you can change yours as well.

You may want to run Disk Utility and do the permissions repair on the volume just to be safe, too.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
February 1, 2012 - 5:26am

hi joseph

I’m afraid I don’t have the “ignore ownership” message. Is it because I use snow leopard?
I was able to overwrite a vault but not able to create a new vault or do a “Time Machine” Backup either.

Paul.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 1, 2012 - 6:35am

Paul,

Hm, no, that’s available on Snow Leopard as well (I just verified it). Are you sure you’re selecting the external volume, not a folder inside of it but the actual hard drive icon on the Desktop or in the very top of the folder path (just create a new Finder window, then tap command-uparrow repeatedly until you can’t go any higher, and you’ll see your hard drive listed there)?

If you select the hard drive that the OS is living on, then you won’t see that option. But any external drive will have it.

If you still aren’t seeing it, please send me a screenshot of the Get Info window on the external hard drive.

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 1, 2012 - 8:39am

Paul,

Here’s your [screenshot].

You’ve changed permissions and are waiting for it to apply; there’s probably a ton of items so yes it could take a while. Did you run Disk First Aid’s permissions repair as suggested yet?

@PhotoJoseph

Paul Evans's picture
by Paul Evans
February 2, 2012 - 4:17am

Joseph
In the end I went to the apple store to see the genii (I think that’s the plural for genius)
After 2 hours they concluded that they hadn’t as clue what had happened. Originally the system froze whilst backing up and after that is when the problem occurred.

The guys in the store suggested that they erase the external and start again. I was expecting this and had got everything in order and was prepared for losing some older images that were referenced.

All is working well again. Hoorah. So to other Aperture users beware of freezes whilst backing up, it seems that a trail of destruction can be left behind.

Paul

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 3, 2012 - 4:03am

Paul,

Oof! Well very glad to hear it’s solved. What a drag. Thanks for updating us here, I appreciate that.

cheers,

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness