You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can you create a new Crop preset? #1
Tim Biddle's picture
by Tim Biddle
June 15, 2012 - 10:39am

I'm looking to create a new crop preset. Specifically for Facebook cover photos. The pixel dimensions are 851 x 315. I'd like to save that as a preset in the pop-up list for cropping. Can you even do that?

Thanks.

Tim

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
June 15, 2012 - 4:06pm

Yes. Same as any other Preset. Just apply the crop to an image (with any other Adjustments you might want to always apply to these images) and Save As Effect. You can add a keyboard shortcut to it if you wish too :

1/ Make your new ‘Effect’
2/ Go to Aperture Menu / Commands / Customize /
3/ The Search field will already be active … just start typing whatever you called it.
4/ Add your Keyboard Command. (I use Ctrl-Optn-Cmd for everything personalised, because virtually no software ever uses it itself and indeed Aperture has nothing that uses it. So perhaps Ctrl-Optn-Cmd-C for crop.)

FWIW …

The Command Editor is incredibly well done. It’s a superb UI and what people probably are unaware of, is that you have incredible control over how you interact with Aperture using the keyboard.

You can make personalised keyboard layouts … I think as many as you want, so you could get really intense about customisation. For example, you could buy a second keyboard and use coloured stickers on the keys, with maybe some text too, and have a separate keyboard for making Selects. Another for making Adjustments. Another for Keywording. If you really wanted to get deeply into it, you could go very far in customisation. You can also share keyboards layouts by exporting and importing them, so they’re easy to move between Macs or between friends. :)

On a Mac you can do some of this keyboard mapping via the system prefs … but you could not have multiple keyboard layouts and you would be limited to what appears in the application menus. On a PC you have none of this control in the OS. So although this is definitely a Pro feature, it sure is a big one that Lr doesn’t have. Just saying … :)

Grant

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 16, 2012 - 6:38am

Grant,

Are you sure about that? I can’t save a crop as an Effect here.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
June 16, 2012 - 7:03am

Oops!

Quite right Joseph. Can’t save crop or straighten.

The rest of my post was okay though. Ho hum.

Grant

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness