You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Derrick Story's Podcast Where He Talks About Apple's Photo App #1
Stuart's picture
by Stuart
February 10, 2015 - 6:05pm

Ok if you want some real clarification on the Photo App you may want to listen to Derrick Story’s latest podcast (02/10/2015): http://thedigitalstory.com/2015/02/tds-podcast-466.html

He mentions he actually talked to Apple about Photo App and it future. He states that Apple told him Photo App is a replacement for iPhoto and not Aperture. I would highly suggest if you have the time to listen to this podcast so you are able to get a good understanding of the future of this new App.

Gerald Fingerlos's picture
by Gerald Fingerlos
February 10, 2015 - 9:26pm

Thank your for this link, it gave me an additional insight to the photos app. What is really bad in the beginning is, that for the first version there is no open API for third party plug-ins. I don´t know why, but I did expect to see this in the initial version.

But so it means to wait even longer to find out about the future of photos and my future of my Aperture library.

John Simpson's picture
by John Simpson
February 10, 2015 - 11:54pm

Stuart, I was just about to post this when I saw that you kindly already did so.  I listen and follow Derrick and his tips and classes have helped me immensely with Aperture over the past few years.

He has been a strong proponent from the beginning announcement of Aperture’s demise of waiting this out unless you absolutely have decided you will need more than Photos has to offer in the short term.  He uses both Aperture and Lightroom in his work with a strong emphasis on Aperture.  

I did find that his tone after talking with Apple is much more subdued and hopeful than it has been regarding Photos as being anywhere near a replacement for Aperture.  I think that he (and others) are starting to come to the realization that Photos will very likely be a great replacement for iPhoto users, but for hard core Aperture users, it will not be so grand.  I am still going to hold out longer, but will hedge my bets and will take a couple beginner Lightroom classes in the meantime.  My personal decision will be based on the ability of Photos in the long run to integrate with the various third party processing add-ons (e.g. Nik).  I spent a lot of time and effort learning Aperture and am still clinging to hope for a solution within Apple’s infrastructure that I can live with.

bjurasz's picture
by bjurasz
February 11, 2015 - 10:32pm

:(

Bill Jurasz
Austin Texas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?