You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
How often to update Aperture vault? #1
Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
June 18, 2012 - 10:19pm

With the Mac, I have a Time machine (TM)back up and a Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) one, so I always have the latest bootable CCC back up and the TM backup can take me to different points in the past. But if I update my Aperture Vault every time I process some photos, I always end up only with the latest stage of Aperture, which might not necessarily be bad, but I was wondering if you guys could share your use/timing of updating the Vault.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 19, 2012 - 12:15am

I update my vault after every client job is imported and adjusted. Usually there are a few days in-between jobs. I also use two vaults on different HDs, and TM does not include them. My question is “Has TM gotten better at backing up Vaults?” I know you shouldn’t backup with tm while Aperture is open…or something like that.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 19, 2012 - 2:59am

DBmoore, just FYI that issue of vault and Aperture was addressed ages ago, with OS X 10.5.3 Aperture: Using Time Machine to backup a library.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 19, 2012 - 4:01am

Oh good.. I can consider using time machine for vaults again. Thanks

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

David Jenkins's picture
by David Jenkins
June 22, 2012 - 12:42pm

I use , like DBMoore, different HDs for Vaults. Three infact.
One is attached at all times and is added to every time a new set of images is added.
We add by project/job. So one project per photo-shoot.
Then after the images are added, the Daily Vault is backed up. Yep, it takes a few minutes, but I am not in a time schedule business of sending images immediately if not sooner to client.

Vault two is a Weekly update, and late on fridays its gets started and does a weekly update.
Vault three is also a weekly, but it lives off site, and at the end of the month (not really, but about every few weeks or so, Vault two goes off site, and Vault three becomes the Weekly Update.

I also load all images from the camera to the iMac Harddrive into a file called “Camera Downloads”, and then the project number becomes a folder.
Time Machine looks after that iMac drive. So if a disaster happens, I can get to the most recent images on Time Machine, and the off site gives some security to the main db.

I have had little success trying to get TM to deal with the AP3 library and have never used TM to deal with Vaults.
Be interested if anyone has some worthwhile tips. Anything to make life easier.

When I travel, it all gets dumped on the Mac Air driveand a WD 500gb drive. I create and AP3 library for that trip and then merge when I’m back into AP3 and the rest of cycle.

DJ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?