You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving Aperture to a different account #1
Howard Miller's picture
by Howard Miller
March 18, 2011 - 8:56am

I've got multiple (ie 5) user accounts on my home IMAC(one for each child). The problem is, I set up Aperture on my System Admin account and my Itunes on my personal account. Which means I can't watch Joseph's pod casts while I have Aperture open.

The directories with all my photos are shared between the System Admin Account and my personal account, I can Import individual projects but it doesn't look like any of my ratings come over. Plus I don't want to do it on an individual basis. I want to move everything over (including all my personal settings and the links to all the photos) over to my personal account.

Is this a pipe dream, or can it be done?

Robert Sfeir's picture
by Robert Sfeir
March 18, 2011 - 9:50am

Hi,

This is fairly simple. As the sys admin user, move the aperture library file to your personal account under the pictures folder. Then click on the aperture library once and press command+I to get info. In the info tab, you’ll see a permissions section. You’ll need to set the permission so that you’re the owner and check off the box to affect the changes to subfolders. Once that’s done, you’ll just open Aperture from your account and it should just find this library for you, and you should have all your settings and meta data as you had them in the sys admin account.

Hope that makes sense.

R

Howard Miller's picture
by Howard Miller
March 18, 2011 - 10:18am

But I don’t keep my files in an Aperture Library. My photos are all referenced.

I can move them, then re-import, but I was hoping to just “move everything over.”

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 20, 2011 - 7:20am

Howard,

Where are the masters, on an external drive? If so, you shouldn’t have any permissions issues.

Robert’s advice is good. Permissions can be a real pain to be honest, but basically regardless of what user you’re in, you can move things to another user by adding to their Public > Drop Box folder, then from the other user, move it back out of there. That’s supposed to change all the permissions on transfer, but as far as I know, it’ll require you to copy the file (so if it’s big, that could take a while.

You should repair permissions on your Aperture library after the transfer, too (command-option on launch; Repair Permissions).

If your masters are on an external drive, you probably won’t need to reconnect them, but if you do, it’s easy enough. Just go to the Photos view, select all photos, and choose Locate Referenced Files in the File menu.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
March 26, 2011 - 3:11am

Interesting.

Out of curiosity, why does importing not bring over your ratings?

Howard Miller's picture
by Howard Miller
March 24, 2011 - 10:26pm

So this actually worked pretty easily.

I had one of the Apple techs walk me through it (thank God for my service contract), but it went without a hitch.

My photos are on my hard drive as Referenced, so I changed the permissions to shared for that directory.

We then moved the Apple library (which we located by clicking File > switch library > Other/new) from the directory on the System Admin’s account to the new users account in the pictures directory.

We opened Aperture by double clicking this “moved” library and everything was there (except for my downloaded pre-sets). As Joseph mentioned above, we also repaired my permissions.

The only thing that took any time was moving the Library file, which is a pretty large file.

Thanks for all your help.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?