You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
organizing library and deleting photos from one project, deletes them from another... #1
Joanne M's picture
by Joanne M
September 11, 2014 - 3:22am

Bare with me, it’s confusing me enough so that I’m having a hard time even asking the question…

I’m a new Aperture user. I’m using 3.5.1 and running Mavericks 10.9.4. Everything’s updated.

I’ve very recently moved my entire 40k plus iPhoto library into Aperture. My iPhoto importing has been sloppy and disorganized and I’ve been trying to sort it out. I’m doing Years in folders, then projects by event in the “2014-02-February | Bretton Woods” format. I also have a few un-dated projects that live at the end of the years folder list as well as a “TO BE PROCESSED” folder of things that need to be filed into years. 

I’ve discovered that I have almost my entire 2011 year copied in the TO BE PROCESSED folder of 4600+ pictures so I deleted an event, say “Paige’s birthday”. I went back up to the 2011 folder and that event was deleted in that folder too. When I go to edit>undo, it says undo delete from album. Somehow the pictures are connected and I can’t (don’t know how to) un-connect them. I noticed that in the TO BE PROCESSED folder, the project path is “2011>Paige’s 9th Birthday” so the connection makes sense, but I don’t want both copies. The 2011 folder is labeled and separated nicely (so I don’t want to delete that one) and the TO BE PROCESSED folder is a jumbled mess of mostly (but not all) 2011 pictures and photo stream. I’m exhausted and I’m only on year one of 14!

Anyone?

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
September 11, 2014 - 2:08pm

You may be confusing projects and albums. Your prompt message indicates that some of your sorting is in albums. If you delete a project of images you are removing the originals and versions as well as removing those images from any albums they may exist in. Albums are subsets of projects. Take a little time to review the file structure tree. Folders contain projects and albums. ( not individual image files) Projects contain image files(originals) Albums are project subsets and contain aliases (pointers if you will) of image files from one or more projects and an image alias may exist in numerous albums at the same time. If you delete a project of images, those images will disapear from any album they may have been in. If an album exists in a project and you delete that project the album disapears.

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Joanne M's picture
by Joanne M
September 11, 2014 - 7:39pm

I did consider that as an iPhoto user, I’m used to how albums work, but in looking at the icon in which the images are found, they are both project box icons, under a folder titled year (2011). Is there another way to find out if I’m looking at an alias or copy and the original resides somewhere else? Or how to reduce to the original only?

Joanne M's picture
by Joanne M
September 11, 2014 - 7:41pm

I take that back. They are both project box icons, #1 lives under folder 2011 and #2 lives under folder “To Be Processed”

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness