You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Processing RAW instead JPEG and final look at the web #1
MAURICE OROZCO's picture
by MAURICE OROZCO
December 15, 2010 - 6:03pm

I found out yesterday that I can hit Photos / and Create a New Version from Master. If so, I am able to change everything that I want very easy in compare if I do it to the JPEG ( from master ) automatically created when I download my pictures from my Nikon D300. Aperture is very strong and powerful when I do make my changes to the version from Master and I do like the final picture after my processing. Questions that I got are :
1 - If I email that file, am I emailing the master version of the picture or a copy of it ? If so, what is left in Aperture after I email that file ? A Master version or a copy of that version ?
2 - If I export this file ( usually I do that ) to my documents and then upload this version to the web ( Photonet ), normally it will be a JPEG version of the file, but will it looks as good as it did after I finished my processing in Aperture or will I loose some quality ?
3 - Never was that happy with the way my pictures looked after being processed as I was doing before because they were loosing a lot of quality. How do I keep that quality when I upload them to the web so they will look exactly as I intended to be ?
4 - When I export them, what I do is :
a - File / export / version, and my setup in the next screen is JPEG 640 x 640 max quality.
This is the size “allowed” by Photonet, otherwise, if the version is bigger, I will not be able to upload it. Question : now that I am processing Version from Master, should I continue doing what I was doing or instead should I choose : file / export / master ?
5 - I noticed that if I choose file / export / master, it will not allow me to reduce the size of the file, so I guess I will not be able to upload it to Photonet cause the file will be too big, am I right ?
6 - After I finished processing my New Version from Master ( as stated above ), could I create a JPEG version from the already processed master copy ? How do I do it ? If I can, will that picture looks much better than if I processed as a JPEG as I was doing before ?

Reasons for this question are because I see very good pictures posted in Photonet ( or the web ) and not matter what I do, my pictures does not look that professional as the others and it is not me taking bad pictures but probably the way I am processing and uploading it. Please help and sorry If I posted too many questions.

Best regards
Maurice.

Dr.Bob's picture
by Dr.Bob
December 15, 2010 - 7:14pm

Maurice, It seems to me you don’t understand the way Aperture works. I’d suggest you start reading the manual for starters as it will probably answer a lot of your questions. Let me assume you import only RAW-files from your camera and not JPEG and RAWs together. Then it doesn’t make a difference whether you process your image of whether you process ‘the new version from master’. What Aperture does, it simply remembers the adjustments you’ve made to an image and applies that on the fly to the master. Your master is never changed. With different versions you can make multiple adjusted versions of your master. (e.g. one with basics edits and one where you converted to B&W).

Once you export your adjustments are applied to the master and written to a JPG (or whether you choose). The master remains in your library and untouched. Thus when emailing a JPG is created according to your preferences and written to a temporary place. Once your email is sent, the JPG will be deleted.

If you made adjustments to an image and want those adjustments to be reflected in an exported JPG, you should always choose to export the version. When you choose export master, your original image without adjustments will be exported (in original file format ass well, so this could be a RAW-file if you shoot in RAW).

I have absolutely no clue what you mean with question 6. However as stated above if you want to export an Image with adjustments, always export the version. It should look the same as in Aperture.

Finally, no matter how hard you adjust, there are only limited things you can do. The image is still made at the time you release the trigger. When your pictures don’t look professional, it is usually determined at the time of the shot.

P.s. To complicate things a little more, make sure you use the sRGB colorspace when you post to the web. Details why you should do this will be a book in itself, so I won’t go into that.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 17, 2010 - 3:04am

Maurice,

Rutger’s explanation should hopefully answer your questions. Please let us know if your confusion on the matter is cleared up.

thank you
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

MAURICE OROZCO's picture
by MAURICE OROZCO
December 17, 2010 - 7:52am

Are you selling the Aperture Manual ?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 17, 2010 - 8:24am

Maurice,

No, the manual comes as a PDF with the software when you buy it. Even if you downloaded it from Apple, it’s built into the help system under the menu Help > Aperture Help.

What I do sell are eBooks on various topics on using Aperture. I have two Aperture eBooks available now; “In-Depth Getting Started with Aperture 3” and “ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3”. I would recommend that you start with the first one.

cheers,

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?