You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sawtooth edges on photos in Browser view #1
Randall Borst's picture
by Randall Borst
October 2, 2012 - 3:47am

Hello–
New to the site which I discovered while trying to find an answer to this question: Why are photos that have a large horizontal crop showing up in the Browser with sawtooth edges on the left and right side? I knew this had to be a result of upgrading to 3.4. since the effect is very noticeable when viewing my photos in the Browser. It appeared as soon as I restarted Aperture after the upgrade.

I started this thread on Apple's Aperture discussion forum which includes a screenshot of what I am talking about.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19847864#19847864

The answer from the thread that makes the most sense is that Apple did this to improve the view of panoramic photos when being viewed in the Browser. I guess that makes sense but I don't take any panoramas. It seems to affect any photo that has a lot of the image cropped from the top or bottom or both.

Does anyone here know anything about this? I always read the release notes before upgrading and didn't see this mentioned. I even went back to Apple's product page for Aperture and didn't find anything like this mentioned.

Any comments or insights about this would be appreciated.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 11, 2012 - 8:18am

Randall,

I just noticed this myself and have two screenshots on my desktop so I can post about it :-)

As you said, it’s for panoramic or very widely cropped images. You can crop an image increasingly wide and see the point where the thumbnail changes. As you said, it appears to be this way so that you can still see the thumbnail and what’s in the image, but you know it’s wider than what you’re seeing because of the jagged edges.

I know I have a few super wide images in my library and in the past, the thumbnail was basically a wide row of pixels where you couldn’t even see what the image was, so this to me is a welcome improvements.

Is it somehow a problem for your workflow, or just a curiosity?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Scott Davenport's picture
by Scott Davenport
October 11, 2012 - 12:33pm

I’d noticed this last week also. Got curious enough to experiment. You’ll see sawtooth edges on an extreme vertical crop as well. Some screen shots here: http://sdaven.blogspot.com/2012/10/sawtooth-thumbnail-in-aperture.html

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 12, 2012 - 2:55am

Makes sense!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness