You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Slideshow size issue #1
John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
June 7, 2013 - 6:00pm

A number of the images in my slide show are shown incomplete, that is the top part cut off. They are complete in the browser, but not when shown in a slideshow, whether show in full screen or standard mode. Any idea why this is happening?

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 8, 2013 - 12:40am

John, the only thing I can think of is do you have a crop setting applied to these individual images in the “Selected Slide” option that is clipping the image view.

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
June 8, 2013 - 8:34am

Some times you will see noticeable crop if you have the Ken Burns setting enabled

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
June 8, 2013 - 11:53am

Thanks for the replies. To update, the images in the film strip are complete and remain complete when placed in the browser. But they become clipped upon choosing most of the Themes, with the exception of Classic, which only clips a relatively small part. I had previously cropped many of these images.
Butch, I don’t understand what you mean by “Selected Slide” option. Please clarify. There has to be some setting I’m inadvertently using that is causing this. I never had this trouble in iPhoto, btw.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 9, 2013 - 5:33am

OK … I think I see what you mean by “clipped.”

Most DSLR cameras capture images in an aspect ratio of either 2:3 or 4:3 … whereas default video output (which is what you doing when you create a slideshow) is 16:9 by default in Aperture … so if any of the themes, or custom setting that may be used in the slideshow call for a cropping of “Fill Frame” or Ken Burns” … Aperture is going to fill the available 16:9 video frame with the central portion of the image, thus adding a “crop” to that image. Plus, in the Ken Burns mode … which is really a pan and zoom effect, a portion of the image needs to be “cropped” out or hidden from view so it can zoom and pan during playback to achieve the goal.

You can avoid this by selecting “Fit in Frame” … though this will leave black area around your image varying in size depending upon the aspect ratio of the image as it compares to the 16:9 slideshow view.

There are two ways to set up various custom settings for slideshows for items like duration, transition, crop, borders, background color, speed, etc. The first is “Default” … these settings apply to every image in the show … then you can further customize settings for individual images by selecting the “Selected Slides” tabs, (Which is just to the right of the Default tab) then click on the image in the timeline film strip, and adjust the settings for that individual slide as desired.

John Boyd's picture
by John Boyd
June 9, 2013 - 9:28pm

Butch–That it! Thanks so much.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?