You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wacom Intuos 5 tablet set up suggestions #1
Andrew Buglass's picture
by Andrew Buglass
September 2, 2013 - 3:09am

I have just become the proud owner of a tablet and am very impressed by the capabilities of the Intuos 5.

As a first-time tablet user, I wonder if someone would share workflow tips that have helped them speed things up. I think what I am really looking for is suggestions on how to set up the options for navigation while doing initial ratings, keywording etc.
I am fine with the subsequent editing steps, but am still finding myself using the mouse AND the keyboard AND the tablet, which gets a bit clumsy to say the least.

Very grateful for any smart suggestions, thank you!

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
November 8, 2013 - 2:10am

I use the WACOM Intuos 5 touch in conjunction with a rollerball mouse and a wireless key pad. I find that trying to do everything on the tablet is just to troublesome.
With a work station of 3- 27 ” monitors. The tablet allows for touch navigation, zooms, gesture rotation of images across the full display.
I have the tablet set in a tray below my desk (real desk not computer desk top.) The tablet is propped up at the back to set it against the bottom of my keyboard. About a thirty degree angle. I find that working on tilted tablet is much easier on my wrist at the end of a long day of editing. Pressure sensitivity doesn’t work with Aperture but works great with CS5.
For web browsing and the like I go wireless on the tablet and lean back with the tablet on my lap.
Image: http://www.johnwaugh.com/Work_Station.jpg

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
November 8, 2013 - 2:59am

Have been thinking I need a tablet but after reading these posts I am not sure. I use Aperture and Nik on my iMac with a Magic Trackpad. If I can’t use the pressure sensitivity feature with the tablet in Aperture would I still find that a tablet will give me more control? Thinking about the medium size tablet.
Input or direction is appreciated.

Susan

Martin Herrera's picture
by Martin Herrera
November 8, 2013 - 5:33am

John: Thanks for sharing. That’s a hell of a setup. I’m going to experiment with and angled tablet to figure out if it works for me.

Susan: Although some of the most interesting aspects of using a tablet it’s not supported in Aperture, I still find that the precision of the pen it’s quite attractive. I use a medium size with a 27 inch monitor and feel it works well for me.

I’m hoping that the elusive new Aperture version will support pen pressure sensitivity among many there things. In the meantime I have to admit finding my self using more and more of Lightroom 5. I still import all of my images in Aperture and edit some outside, so I have the possibility to transition to an Aperture only environment quite easily.

Enjoy. m.

Martin Herrera Soler | www.martinhsphoto.com

Susan Mayne's picture
by Susan Mayne
November 9, 2013 - 11:18am

Martin. Thanks for your input. The tablet is going on my Christmas list.

Susan

Tony Schönberg's picture
by Tony Schönberg
November 3, 2013 - 2:51am

Ive just unpacked My wacom intuos and have the same question as you.
Would speed things up to have a basic setup and work it from there.
Any tips?

Thanks

Martin Herrera's picture
by Martin Herrera
November 4, 2013 - 8:53am

I’m on the same boat. I’m sure you are aware by now, but my understanding is that Aperture does not support the ‘pressure sensitivity’ aspect of the tablet. Is this right or am I missing something? I did try it in Lightroom and it is indeed a very useful and relevant feature for brush editing.

I’m curious as to what people have configured in the tablet butting and radial menu. I’ve used the zoom and brush size for the ‘wheel’ kind of button. I’ve dome more tweaking in Lightroom but not yet in Aperture.

Martin Herrera Soler | www.martinhsphoto.com

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?