You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wacom Tablet #1
Graham Parker's picture
by Graham Parker
May 2, 2012 - 5:58am

I have been thinking of getting a Wacom Tablet. Intuos a bit out of reach on price so thinking about a bamboo. Any thoughts?

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
May 2, 2012 - 6:03am

If you are serious about performance, save your money and get the Intuous PTK-640 (medium).
The accuracy and additional tools are well worth the price difference.
Intuous since 2003
John

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
May 2, 2012 - 7:05am

The new Intuous 5 tablets look good and I am thinking of getting one myself. They allow touch gestures as well, a little like a giant track pad on a Mac laptop.

I’m not really a big user of gestures but I assume that the Intuous 4 is now no longer made in any case, so it will be the 5!

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
May 2, 2012 - 8:12am

Even though I have been using Ps since late 1991 … I have only considered using a tablet fairly recently … I picked up a Bamboo a couple of years ago for next to nothing on eBay to test the waters … while I enjoy working with it, I haven’t yet made a complete transition to using it full time … so if you can get a good price to try out a tablet, it may not be a bad investment … then as your desire for more grows you can step up to the better models …

I find the Bamboo does a good job with Ps, Aperture and Lightroom for what I need … you could also check around for closeouts and refurbs from various sources, even the Wacom site sometimes offers the previous generation refurbs to save a few bucks as well …

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
May 2, 2012 - 9:01am

I picked up a Bamboo Capture at the beginning of the year and have been glad I did. Couldn’t spring for the Intuous line, but found this to be great for my needs. The surface is both pen and touch sensitive (but never both at the same time) and has sped up my Aperture workflow, not to mention made it a little more fun. The fact it can also serve as an extra large track pad with all the Mac gestures I’ve come to know (and love) makes it a device I thought I’d use only once in a while to something I have connected all the time.

Bill Montgomery's picture
by Bill Montgomery
May 3, 2012 - 1:51am

I purchased the Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch (similar to the current Create model) eighteen months ago. I made the decision to save my money and go with the Bamboo because it had the touch input capability that the Intuos4 tablets didn’t have. I also saw that the resolution and pen sensitivity was as good as previous generation of Intuos models. Furthermore, I had not used a tablet and wasn’t sure how well I would like it, so I didn’t want to make a major investment.

As it turns out, I absolutely love using a tablet for photo editing. I’ve now edited tens of thousands of photos with the Bamboo and found it to be a reliable and capable tool. So far I see no reason to want to upgrade.

Mike Boening's picture
by Mike Boening
May 3, 2012 - 2:42am

I had purchased the Bamboo and shortly returned it. I put together the dollars for the Intuos 5 medium and it was well worth it. So much easier to use than the Bamboo. The ability to make it wireless is also a big plus. I would wait till you can get into the Intuos line if you can.

Gary Greenberg's picture
by Gary Greenberg
October 2, 2013 - 8:14am

Does anyone know if Aperture allows pen pressure to effect brush strength, like Photoshop does?

iHarley's picture
by iHarley
October 2, 2013 - 8:57am

Gary, this earlier post should help. I’m not sure if I’m seeing the pressure sensitive work with my Bamboo Capture though.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness