Aperture in High Sierra? #1
skippingrock's picture
by skippingrock
June 7, 2017 - 5:40am

So could someone try this?

Matt Gregor's picture
by Matt Gregor
June 7, 2017 - 1:12pm

I am running 10.13 beta (macOS High Sierra) and successfully opened a handful of old Aperture libraries using the latest 3.6 Aperture version. I didn’t spend any real time in the app doing anything but I was happy it didn’t immediately crash. :)

u b's picture
by u b
September 16, 2017 - 11:37pm

I purchased aperture 3.0 long ago but, never had a printer to use with it.

i just purchased a canon TS-9020 released about a year ago ( yea i know it’s not a photo printer) but i just want basic photo output.

i really like the product and the printed photos are pretty nice but, the machine is inexpensive and won’t take rough or quick handling but i already knew that from the reviews.

Anyway, i have a mac mini with the original os 10.7.5 that came with it and have not had any problems but,

canon doesn’t have printer drivers or software that support this old macOS version.

you guessed it, i need to upgrade to macOS 10.0 or higher in order to use the canon drivers.

I have a couple questions:

#1 does any body know if there is a problem upgrading my macOS to ver. 10 or higher will result in issues with aperture ???

#2 is there a consensus on what was aperture’s best version.

Henrik Lorenzen's picture
by Henrik Lorenzen
June 8, 2017 - 6:56pm

Yes Aperture runs fin and my Plugins is still running so all good

and just a small side note the Photos app is getting closer to aperture the DAM is now as it is in aperture 

I am very happy Maybe that will way to go once Aperture dies 

but yes with 200K plus photos Aperture just runs 

Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca's picture
by Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca
July 26, 2017 - 3:38am

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for the info and update on photos.

I am curious on what aspect of DAM that photos is now close to Aperture

- does it let you move your files around (from managed to referenced)?

- does it allow me to see the photos as a list to dig into the  metadata?

- can I import images into an external drive and make a back-up copy somewhere?

- star rating (I personally don't use this as much… but know lots that miss that)

- can I create version?

I have not used Photos (or Aperture) for a while, but when I got the phone call regarding Aperture's dismissal, it was mentioned that some capabilities would be incorporated back. I am really hoping that we may get something close. Question is if it will be close enough to Apple gain my trust back.

cheers

rafael

skippingrock's picture
by skippingrock
June 8, 2017 - 7:02pm

Yay! Thanks for this.

by Henrik Lorenzen
June 26, 2017 - 5:21pm

And the speed with the file system is fantastic 

I see many places that people are say full screen is broken, min was until did a clean install then is is flying 

I am so clad that I kept my Aperture lib even while using Capture one pro 

and Capture one pro well the sucription  is up so off it has gone, and Yes Photo looks promising I will guess next major update of Mac OS  lift and stamp tool will improve and brushes will be there  

Apple might come clear one more time

Hernik

by Henrik Lorenzen
August 17, 2017 - 9:41pm

It is flying on beta 6 half the time as before most be the file system only picking WB in full screen is broken for me 

the rest is very nice

Henrik

Ingmar's picture
by Ingmar
September 26, 2017 - 4:40pm

Any known problems/bugs with Aperture running on final release of High Sierra? Haven’t had the courage to update yet. ;-)

Stastein's picture
by Stastein
September 26, 2017 - 5:09pm

I used to have the full screen hiccups under Sierra, but after the upgrade to High Sierra they seem to be gone. So far everything seems to be running smoothly after the upgrade.

Stastein

Magnus von Brömsen's picture
by Magnus von Brömsen
September 28, 2017 - 11:35am

Yes, still works for me in High Sierra.

I have not tried everything - and the two (minor?) issue I have is:
- Always generate previews for some of the images in the library
- Sometimes is not the “pick point” in the loupe visible (see image)

So much I miss Aperture! It starts in under a second and browsing is so quick. And - as we all know - the DAM part is lightyears ahead the other :)

Why Apple, why?

Ingmar's picture
by Ingmar
September 30, 2017 - 1:02pm

Thanks for your impressions and infos, guys. I’ll venture to install HighSierra this weekend. ;-) Will post if I experience any bugs/strange behavior.

parkd's picture
by parkd
October 18, 2017 - 7:42pm

I posted this on the news article on the front page regarding High Sierra and Aperture, but discussion seems more active here (sorry for the double post).

I have been having import issues since updating to High Sierra.  Aperture will no longer allow me to pair RAW and JPG together (they are actually listed separately on the import page) and the check box to hide already imported photos is greyed out (also, even though it is checked, all images on my memory card are displayed).

Is anyone seeing this for import or is it something going on with just my setup? If it is just me, any ideas on a solve? I am connecting a Nikon D800 directly to the Mac via USB 3.0, Type A.

Thanks

Ingmar's picture
by Ingmar
October 19, 2017 - 6:50pm

I’m importing my EOS 6D photos with the SD card reader in my iMac. None of your described problems occur on my system. Check box “Do not import duplicates” is not greyed out and import of RAW+ JPEG works as expected. I can use JPEG as original, RAW as original or keep both separated after import.

I’m sorry, but I have no idea what’s going on with your setup.

btw. on import page RAW and JPEG files were always listed separately. 

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness