You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it possible to exclude projects/pics from sync to iPad? #1
Christofer Andersson's picture
by Christofer Andersson
August 16, 2012 - 3:26pm

I handle my one and only library through Aperture and also have all my pictures synched to my iPad.

I have just scanned a few pictures from paper into my computer that I want to import to my Aperture library but I don't want them to be synched to my iPad. Is it somehow possible to exclude certain pics and/or projects from synching?

CAN

BonnieB's picture
by BonnieB
August 16, 2012 - 9:30pm

What method are you using to do the syncing, and where/how are the photos stored on the iPad side?

Dave W's picture
by Dave W
August 17, 2012 - 7:46am

If you use iTunes to sync your photos to your iPad you can easily set this up.

Connect your iPad and launch iTunes. Select your iPad and go to the “Photos” tab. You will see a check box asking which library to use to sync from. Under that is a box that gives you the choice of “All Photos” or “Selected” photos. Select just the folders/projects etc. you want to sync and leave the others unchecked. Problem solved!

Hope this helps.

Dave

Christofer Andersson's picture
by Christofer Andersson
August 17, 2012 - 7:57pm

@Dave W: Thanks for the tip, I’m gonna try this during the weekend and see how it works out.

By the way, what will happen to my future projects if I choose to select which projects to include in the sync? Will I then have to remember to include all new projects in order for them to be synched? That sounds a bit frustrating, but if it’s the only way…

CAN

Dave W's picture
by Dave W
August 17, 2012 - 8:41pm

Yes, you will have to update your selection periodically to include your new albums.

Here are a couple of other issues/ideas:
Could you use another library to store the images you do not want to sync? I believe iTunes uses the last opened library to pull images.
That being said, I believe (I haven’t experimented) that iTunes gets confused when you switch libraries. I know that my sync’d images change at times and I have to redo my project selection. I haven’t ID‘d the cause since it isn’t that critical for me and I just let it go. So, if you have multiple libraries and switch often this may be an issue for you.

Dave

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 18, 2012 - 2:24am

Chiming in here — advice is all sound except that I wouldn’t start using multiple libraries for this. Just a recipe for confusion and as suggested iTunes looks for the last opened library.

Consider using Smart Albums to manage which photos get synced. Or, consider syncing to folders of exported photos, as I do. Read this post for details on how I do that.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?