You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why Do You Think The 30 Day Trial Has Been Discontinued? #1
Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
April 30, 2012 - 8:50pm

I see that Apple no longer offers the 30 day trial version of Aperture.

I was wondering why they did that, as it seems like a sensible marketing tool. I am drawn to conclude that it may suggest that the software will be upgraded (or, I guess, killed off) imminently.

Thoughts?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 30, 2012 - 11:16pm

Think Apple is standardizing on the iTunes or app Store model of file delivery. Thou I prefer a “try and see” model myself. Wonder if the cost of customer support is too high for people who are just trying and playing?

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
May 1, 2012 - 9:26am

I think the easiest way to lose money would be to enter into a wager of any kind about what Apple may be up to … historically, just when you think they are going to zig … they zag … ;-)

It’s been more than several weeks since the trial download has been removed, so I don’t think it means we may see something new in the very new future … though I would be disappointed if we don’t see a new version of Aperture along with the release of iPhoto 12, Mountain Lion, and hopefully new versions of iWork … but really … who knows? … well, I guess Tim Cook knows … but he ain’t talking ….

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
May 1, 2012 - 9:27am

Maybe. I don’t think I have used customer support for Apple software very often as it usually just works - or the bugs are bugs that Support would be unable to fix.

I am thinking that as LR4 has come along we are about to see something new. Joseph?! Jump in here…!

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
May 1, 2012 - 10:31am

Yes, I have to say that Apple’s curious practice of refusing to say even the most bland of things about their roadmap is frustrating.

Where is the commercial harm, for example, in a press release that says “We are indeed working on Aperture 4 and hope to have it out in Q3 2012.” or whatever.

None at all that I can see - and lots of happy campers among the user base.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 2, 2012 - 3:07am

I couldn’t figure out reasons for decisions like that when I worked there… what makes you think I can figure it out now?! ;-)

Honestly no idea, but I’m not a fan of the decision either. Needless to say, no one asked me hehe

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
May 2, 2012 - 7:07am

We know you are the All Seeing Eye in these matters, Joseph…! ;-)

I do have a feeling in my bones that we will see something from Apple in the Aperture arena this summer though.

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
May 2, 2012 - 7:13am

I would put my money on the fact of helping to crack down on piracy.

I am sure the demo version you could enter a serial number to turn it in to a full blown version, if you looked hard enough online you would probably find a corporate number somewhere. That normally happens with a lot of software.

Tim Doyle's picture
by Tim Doyle
May 2, 2012 - 7:16am

If they announce that they’re working on an upgrade, then some customers may put off purchasing, which could affect their quarterly numbers. Also, some companies cannot announce upcoming releases, even if vaguely, due to revenue recognition implications.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
May 2, 2012 - 8:04am

It’s probably a little of All of the Above … I have read frequently on a few forums of how you can circumvent the process by using generated SN’s to make a demo version a permanent fixture … and Tim is right, for publicly traded companies, the SEC has rules about what firms can announce and when, so as not to unduly influence stock trading/prices … and you know if that dirty five letter word (Apple) is mentioned in such matters … every Legal Eagle known to man will be jumping on board crying “foul” and looking for monetary damages …

Even the folks who may be fortunate enough to be private alpha and beta testers are sworn to secrecy via NDA (non disclosure agreements) so it’s difficult to predict anything … because those that know, can’t really discuss the matter … and those that think they know … are really guessing …

Richard's picture
by Richard
May 2, 2012 - 8:25am

Where is the commercial harm, for example, in a press release that says “We are indeed working on Aperture 4 and hope to have it out in Q3 2012.”

I fully agree, but deadlines slip, and you’ll rarely get the big guys telling you anything in terms of timeframe these days. I just wish that the NDAs (if there are any) didn’t stop people from saying that a beta exists, even if they can’t say anything about it. At least then we’d know SOMETHING.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness